Bentonville Battleground

R

rjs0203

Hey All,

Need some advice. I am a beginner. I live fairly close to the Bentonville Battleground. Does anyone know a good area around there to search for artifacts or possibly campsites? Any sugggestions on resources? I know I cannot search on the battleground itself.

I am also trying to find good maps or possibly GPS resources on troop movements and possible camp locations..any recommendations?

Now the bad news..I am starting out with an old White's Coinmaster db1..I know..I hear the laughter hehe...any chance in finding anything with that or is it hopeless?

What would be a better dectector for this purpose?

I would appreciate any help that you could offer.

Thanks!

Richard Steg

Upvote 0

bullFL

Mar 2, 2005
Clearwater Beach Area FL
There are areas going towards Goldsboro, from Bentonville Battle ground headed to Goldsboro don't remer the road name but there is an old house on right side next to road. Farmers house is on the left. I ask him permissiion many years ago to detect his fields, and woods. He said go right ahead and directed me to a dirt road and told me to go into the woods about 200 yards and i would find old earthern defencive mounds. I went there and found the mounds and detected some of the area. I did ok but my time was short so I had to quit before the sun went down. This is an excellent area to search, but make darn sure that you DO NOT go onto the Bentonville Battle field boundaries. Getting your detector taken away and having to go to court is no fun, Know where you are at.

Ilovetodig

Feb 14, 2005
Now in Guam
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/ Fisher D2
I'm not sure where you could go there but perhaps you should start by asking the locals if they know of any place you can detect at.

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Hi Richard,

Mr Barbee...Barbee's Detector Sales in Burlington might be able to give you some advice. He's searched the area around Bentonville alot. If you're needing someone to go along........its always good to have someone watching your back ;D.......I would love to go detecting in that area.

I just won an "Official Military Atlas of the Civil War" on ebay. It probally has some good info on the area. Havent got it yet though :'(

OP
OP
R

rjs0203

Thanks everyone for your help. I may take a ride there in the next couple of weekends just to scope things out maybe see what I can find.

Thanks!

W

WDPenderLivesOn

As a NC resident fairly new to detecting, I myself am ready to go on a Civil War relic hunt. Problem is finding places. I was denied by a farmer to get permission to a field where my uncle found 3 6lb solid shot cannon balls while plowing. What a bummer, but I still have one of the cannonballs my Uncle gave me. I took the 45minute trip to Bentonville last year just to visit the battlegrounds and the Harper House. And believe me, theres plenty of signs there that let you know relic hunters with detectors are not welcome. The battlefield covers such a big area. I'm pretty sure there is plenty to be found outside the battlefield lines. You might would want to research Gen Johnstons retreat path to Durham also. Goldsboro, Kinston and New Bern are pretty rich with Civil War battles and far as I know neither outlaws relic hunting. I'm trying to find some land from the Battle of Wyse Fork to detect on if a law hasn't been passed banning detecting there also. It was the second biggest battle fought in NC with nearly 25,000 troops involved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread