Bergies Weekend of Detecting...silver class ring + lots of adventuring...

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Bergie's Weekend of Detecting...silver class ring + lots of adventuring...

The family was away this weekend, so I had almost two full days of detecting, so I decided to try a few new sites that have been on my radar for years, but are a ways of travel. First, went down to the old site of Palisades Park, an old amusement park from the late 1800s into the 1960s or 70s, perched on cliffs overlooking the Hudson River, just south of the George Washington Bridge. I was lucky enough to get info from someone who has a fan site about the old park. The bad news is the park was replaced by condos a couple decades ago, but below the cliffs where the park sat I learned there are still the old trolly road and walls leading up from the Hudson River. It was tough and in some cases dangerous climbing, but I got down there. To make a long story short, it was interesting but not productive. There had been heavy partying there and dumping over the cliffs. Maybe it was already detected for years and years. I didn't find anything. However, the guy just sent me this photo, which is the exact place where I was. All the walls you see and the roadway for the trolly are still there. The park was up above the cliff. Funny thing is I got back to where my I left my bag and there's a GOLD WATCH sitting on the ground, face missing (of course it's just a stainless steel Citizen junker watch fake gold, but it made my heart stop). On the way home I stopped north on the Palisades on incredible cliffs 900 feet straight down to the Hudson. Amazing views of NYC from there. There used to be old mansions up there and you could see the ruins. The cliffs are roped off for safety. I did find a little badge, I believe a cub scout or boy scout badge by one of the cliffs. Otherwise, no finds. So I headed home and the next morning I decided to head out to an old Rev. War fort on top of a high hill overlooking the Hudson, where they used it as a lookout for British ships coming up and down the Hudson near West Point. It's questionable whether you are supposed to detect there, but it wasn't clear that you couldn't. My understanding is this site has been very well detected since the first detectors were around, because it's such a great site. You could see the fort itself and the stone foundations of the soldiers' quarters. I found NOTHING!!! Lots of hot rocks and lousy signals, but did not dig anything, but it was cool just looking at the same views those soldiers had and thinking of the sacrifices they made to start this great country (that so many people now take for granted, unfortunately). So, at this point I had detected most of the weekend and had not found a single coin. So, I decided to hit old Camp Silver on the way home, in hopes of getting something good. This is the 100 year old youth camp that has produced a couple of barbers, several other silver coins and a variety of rings, including two silver class rings. Well, I actually was happy to find a memorial penny when I first got there, imagine that, but I finally found a coin. Then toward the time I was going to have to leave I got a good silver signal and dug a 1983 silver junior high class ring from a school in NYC. No name inside. This was the third silver junior high ring I've dug there, all the same style of ring either 1982 or 83. I will get Earthworks to photo and will post the new one and the other two as well. So, all in all, a ton of hiking, some cool history and views, one tick I plucked off my neck (I thought they were supposed to die by now). Thanks for reading...(Oh, for those of you who read the post of the 32 diamond brooch I found a couple weeks ago on an old dirt roadway, I am sure that they are fakes after calming down and looking at it rationally, so I didn't bother to have Earthworks photo it in any hurry, but I will post it with the other stuff. We had a great trip to Vegas too, and I will post that story and photos as well.) -- photo below is cool because it's exactly where I was. Both those walls are still there, and trolly roadway.

Attachments

• palisades.jpg
    palisades.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Bergie's Weekend of Detecting...silver class ring + lots of adventuring...

Glad you got to spend some time adventuring :) And you came up with some good finds...congrats on the ring! Great post Bergie.

HH!
TBGO

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sometimes it's not the finds but the thrill of the hunt Bergie. The history behind those places sounds amazing. You never know what will pop out of the ground at such an old site. Keep at it brother and make all of us Hudson valley hunters proud.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Still an interesting story, even without great finds! Sometimes an inspiration doesn't pan out, but you still have to pursue them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread