Bergshutz Medal (More then likely antique)

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Kellyco Predator II, Bounty Hunter Quickdraw 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My metal detector is roached but I've been digging on instinct around my property and recovering some cool things. I recovered a 1913 British penny and an old hammer to a flintlock pistol or something of the sort. My most recent find however was a Bergshutz Medal in the shape of a shield. It has a mountain man on the front with the inscription "In Meinen Bergen Bin Ich Dein Schutz" It's silverish in color. I was wondering how I could go about dating it and/or if it has any value.

Upvote 0

milk86

Jun 6, 2011
Oklahoma City, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
the verbage is this In Den Bergen Ich Schutz Dich In the Mountains, I Protect You

age there is no telling because no picture and it is a medal so there is no way to really tell. They are still given out today. But nice digs

OP
OP
TiBorn

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to get picks up but I can tell you it's not new. There is a very strong possibility the only Germans that ever crossed my property were the hessian mercenaries of the early wars.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to get picks up but I can tell you it's not new. There is a very strong possibility the only Germans that ever crossed my property were the hessian mercenaries of the early wars.

unlikely

OP
OP
TiBorn

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right but then again I don't see you explaining how a one of these German protection medals ended up smack dab in the in the middle of the most fought over town in New York. I might add that I've found other relics from that time period buried in my lawn. None the less I have a picture of it that I will be uploading shortly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TiBorn

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG002.jpg IMG002-1.jpg These are pics of my find, also I weighed it and it weighs a full ounce.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'In my mountains I am your protection.'

The casting suggests 20th C, still better than most junk.

OP
OP
TiBorn

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, sorry for the sarcastic tone before I found this in my front yard and it was found with other things from the 1800's and possibly later. In fact I found more things from that time period today.

OP
OP
TiBorn

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sixth post was two pics of the object in question oldsaltly19. Please double check and tell me what you think.

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'In my mountains I am your protection.'

The casting suggests 20th C, still better than most junk.

ULLR medal. Rubezahl is his name. Giant in the montains....he is the one who protects you.

http://www.sammlerecke.at/tagungsabzeichen/ullrabz.html Second one in the "Salzburg" chapter is similar to the found one.

Here is a website for ULLR medals in the states. Ullr Ski Medals, About Us, Unique, Collectable, Custom Made Ski Medals. Ski Medals to Commemorate Ski Events - Ski Resort Events and Ski Resort Openings!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TiBorn

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting, I wish I could find a reference to the exact one I found. Any idea on a possible value? Thank you for everything.

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess there are hundreds of ULLR/Rubezahl designs in the 20th century made. If there is no makers mark...no chance. Value? It's a pretty cool find in the states why sell something worth 15 or 20 bucks?

OP
OP
TiBorn

TiBorn

Nov 16, 2011
Ticonderoga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have my doubts that it's new. This is a historic town, so the question remains, how did it get here? But in any event it's a nice piece in my collection.

NATURALSPIRIT

Aug 23, 2015
Heilbronn,Baden-Werttemberg-Germany
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Germany!!,am german I have the same pendent with a egale with red paint on it and old man its for protection when climbing moutains in Austria made ? early 1900s maybe 1800 late am trying to find out how old and how much its worth also lloked on EBAY but found nothing am going to a antiq shop soon,In the mountains I protect you!!!.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TiBorn , What is your discomfort with a date of 1920's or thereabout (my guess ) the font + design is suggestive of circa
80 - 100 years old - do you want this to be like 200 years old or something ??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread