Best areas to look for gold jewelry?

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
As most of the places Ihave to use my detectors are at the local parks, with ball fields, a soccer filed, and play grounds...

I was hoping some of you more experienced guys would share a few tips on the best locations at these kind of parks to find a ring or neckless? I already know about the basketball courts, as the only two rings I have found were near the court ends. It would be nice to narrow the search areas down...

Oyvind Pedersen

Jan 31, 2016
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro vaquero. Previous: minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beach.. Look for where people lay their towels

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
As most of the places Ihave to use my detectors are at the local parks, with ball fields, a soccer filed, and play grounds...

I was hoping some of you more experienced guys would share a few tips on the best locations at these kind of parks to find a ring or neckless? I already know about the basketball courts, as the only two rings I have found were near the court ends. It would be nice to narrow the search areas down...

Dude that is Geographical Intelligence for your area only, if there are other hunters in that area they may be able to say but would they. Every place is different, every beach, park, bike path and so on.

But now that we know your intel, you mind saying what courts exactly. LOL

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I specialize in looking for jewelry and especially gold in parks.
I have only found a few things near the basketball court ends, around the goals I assume is what you are referring to.
What I have found near the corners and all around the perimeters of these courts is much more...and better.
Silver chains, gold chains, several silver rings, a couple of silver crosses and a baker's dozen gold targets mostly rings.

Volleyball courts are similar because people act the same way as those courts and make piles of their clothes and jewelry all around them.
Could be some in the sand but I have found more silver and gold jewelry around the perimeters.

The sidelines around soccer fields.
Many have found some jewelry on the fields as have I, but I have found way more around the sidelines and paths the spectators take to get to those sidelines.
There also can be more coins than you might believe around these sidelines if nobody has hunted them before.
I found a site like that once...in 5 hunts I found several silver rings and almost $80 in clad.

Picnic pavilions are trashy but trashy means lots of activity and that means more chances for jewelry.

Then there are areas where people sit or walk through or throw balls or Frisbees which can be anywhere.

I have found coins and lots of silver and gold jewelry in those dividers filled with grass, pebbles or chips in large parking lots.
Also look near grass in front of any parking lots.
As people pull keys out of pockets walking over these they pull other things out of those pockets and also lose a lot of jewelry.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
I specialize in looking for jewelry and especially gold in parks.
I have only found a few things near the basketball court ends, around the goals I assume is what you are referring to.
What I have found near the corners and all around the perimeters of these courts is much more...and better.
Silver chains, gold chains, several silver rings, a couple of silver crosses and a baker's dozen gold targets mostly rings.

Volleyball courts are similar because people act the same way as those courts and make piles of their others and jewelry all around them.
Could be some in the sand but I have found more silver and gold jewelry around the perimeters.

The sidelines around soccer fields.
Many have found some jewelry on the fields as have I, but I have found way more around the sidelines and paths the spectators take to get to those sidelines.
There also can be more coins than you might believe around these sidelines if nobody has hunted them before.
I found a site like that once...in 5 hunts I found several silver rings and almost $80 in clad.

Picnic pavilions are trashy but trashy means lots of activity and that means more chances for jewelry.

Then there are areas where people sit or walk through or throw balls or Frisbees which can be anywhere.

I have found coins and lots of silver and gold jewelry in those dividers filled with grass, pebbles or chips in large parking lots.
Also look near grass in front of any parking lots.
As people pull keys out of pockets walking over these they pull other things out of those pockets and also lose a lot of jewelry.

Thanks Digger27, this was the kind of info I was looking for!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Thanks Digger27, this was the kind of info I was looking for!

You're very welcome.
Basketball courts are the highest percentage sites I have hunted out of everything I listed to find gold, but I have dug stellar finds at all of them.

Here us a small patch of grass between 2 small courts I hunted and where I realized what these perimeters could hold because I found 3 gold rings there on 2 consecutive hunts.

View attachment 1301669

View attachment 1301670
The one on top I kept, had resized and still wear it today.

Here is a pic I made up a few years ago of some of my best finds from 9 of these courts...I continue to look for and hunt these things wherever I find them and have found even more.

View attachment 1301673

Here is one of my favorites, a channel white gold 14k wedding band with 9 diamonds...

View attachment 1301674

Those parking lot dividers....also a lucky break when I discovers what these things could have buried in them.
Now I target them anywhere I see them in public sites but highschool and college parking lots are the best.

Here us a ring I found in one of these that is not marked and I still have not tested but I suspect a very old heirloom ring.
Check it out....that soft buttery look of 22-24k gold and that pearl is not cultured but the only natural pearl I have ever seen in real life.

View attachment 1301676

Also areas you might not think about can yield coins and jewelry.
Here is a pic of 2 class rings from the same school that are 2 different sizes but otherwise exactly the same.
The 73 was found in an innocuous small open field behind a cinder block bathroom building on the edge of a parking lot near picnic areas and a tot lot.
Didn't think anything was going on here but after taking a run through I found coins and a few things that indicated this was used by both girl and boy scouts.
The class ring was probably owned by a scoutmaster.
A few months later in a completely different park next to a picnic pavilion I found the 72.

View attachment 1301679

Don't forget tot lots in any park if you come across some that don't have those hated rubber mats that cities seem to like nowadays.

Chips, sand and pebbles are easy to locate targets and dig in, shredded tire sites might have a lot of little bits of those steel belts which make it a little frustrating but still worth trying.

Last edited:

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this place but they called the cops on me, not very freindly them jewlers.
image.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread