Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best I have used are the AC Delco. They are hard to find.

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Since I replace my batteries after each use whether I have used them for one hr or 8hr,I toss them in a drawer for use in other things here in the house,I just buy either Energiser or Duracell.I have heard that Panasonic has a super battery but have been unable to find them here locally.It's not the standard Panasonic but one of their commercial batteries.

coin finder

Jan 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Beach Hunter ID 300
Hi, all it's coin finder , about batterys I use what I can buy , the less the better. I don't pay for a Name . ;D ;D ;D

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
Energizers seem to last longer for me. You can get packages of 12 at Home Depot for about $11.00.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stock up on the Harbor Freight brand when they go on sale. $4.99 buys you 24 AA's or 4 9V's. It's the best price I've found so far and I have a store right down the street so I can pick them up in person. But I've also bought some of their rechargables recently so I plan on giving those a try this year as soon as it warms up enough.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm partial to Ray O Vac alkalines or Eveready alkalines, but Duracells are fine also. I can usually buy the Ray O Vacs in large paks at the local Wally world at the best price.
luvsdux

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540
I really like the 1600mah rechargeable slim pack battery that came with my machine. It also powers my inline probe. I can hunt all day with it and I really like not buying batteries anymore. JJ

LittleJohn

Apr 7, 2010
South Central, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Etrac,Fisher F75,Tesoro Golden UMax, Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Going to run the new NiZn rechargeable in my detector as soon as they get delivered. Read many reviews on them and have also contacted the manufacturer of my detector and they verified that they would be fine to use....PLUS.....the batteries are GREEN...as nickel and zinc are commonly occuring elements, there is no trouble with hazardous disposal of cadmium, etc.

Currently I am running NiMh rechargeables and they do very well. 2900 mAh is the set I use most of the time.

LittleJohn

Nov 20, 2009
I use lithium batteries (Energizer I think) The package that say they have more power, not the ones that say they last longer. I truly believe more battery power helps in finding more smaller gold and platinum. This is the most important thing you can do to increase your finds, IMHO. At least with my surfmaster. I have heard that extra power can hurt any lights on the machine. Julie in OC Ca

dave5339

Jan 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Minelab X-Terra 305, Garrett Pro Pointer
Little John,

Real curious to hear how the Nizn are running for you.

My wife and I are looking at getting some. She's running a DeLeon and I'll be running an Explorer II.

Currently we are running Tennergy rechargeable Nimh's in our machines. They work well so far.

Semper Fi

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a set of rechargeable enegizers and Duracells, so I can distinguish easily which ones to replace in case these accidentally fall to the ground

both brands work fine, but I think enegizers are a little lighter that duracells, I have to weight them to compare

ohiotech

Jan 4, 2007
Dayton, Ohio.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark with stock 8" and CSC
I use ultra low discharge batteries in my Tiger Shark. They store forever with a full charge, and don't have the discharge failures like so many other high capacity rechargeable batteries. They're made by Maha, and called Immedion. Eneloop is another brand, but they cost more at the time I bought these.

The problem that I found with high capacity rechargeable batteries is that when you get them brand new, and fully charge them, they let you detect longer. But stick them on the shelf for a couple of months, whether using them or not, and you'll find that they don't keep their capacity like they did in the beginning, nor will they ever reach that higher point of capacity anymore. Typically, the higher the cap, the faster the idle discharge rate when not in use.

These low discharge batteries are the ones you see in the store that are rechargeable, but state that you don't have the charge them the first time that you use them. That's because they can hold up to 80 and 90% of their charge over the course of sitting on the shelf for a year. Try that with your average rechargeable battery.

Also consider this. If you need 8 batteries, at 1.5 volts, you're at 12 volts with alkaline. If you do this with your typical rechargeable battery, they're at 1.2 volts, which is a loss of .3 volts per cell, making 2.4 volt loss over those 8 cells, leaving you with 9.6 volts to run your equipment. Make sure that you can do that by checking with your mfg.

For me, Tesoro states "This should not affect your depth and sensitivity, it but will affect the time that you are able to hunt". I have two packs of batteries with me at any time. The first pack is my Immedions, and the second is a pack of Duracell or Energizers. I've never had to grab the second pack on any daily hunt I've done, in the water or out, and primarily using my clean sweep in the water.

my2c

Ohiotech

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
NiMH AA batteries are 1.2 volts when they come to you uncharged. They can be charged up to about 1.45 volts, but will drop quickly to 1.4 or 1.35 volts & stay there for a good while until they drop to 1.2 volts. After that they will discharge quickly.

I determined this by using a White's XLT that read out battery voltage to nearest tenth of a volt on 8 AAs. HH, George (MN)

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your owners manual will tell you the type of battery to use....the brand will be a matter of choice and your pocket book...I have a White's DFX and a White's GMT Gold Master, and the manual says to use alkalines only....so there you go...SushiDog

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SushiDog said:
Your owners manual will tell you the type of battery to use....the brand will be a matter of choice and your pocket book...I have a White's DFX and a White's GMT Gold Master, and the manual says to use alkalines only....so there you go...SushiDog

I'm pretty sure that my manual tells me to use Alkalines only. But my 9.6V rechargeables work very well in my detector. And I asked Tesoro and they said rechargeables would work just fine as well. Manufacturers like to cover their butts.

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may sound strange....but....I don't get as much voltage reading when I use the MD battery, BUT, when I use the batteries for the battery pack, the voltage is right up there....and no....the battery is not old....SushiDog

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread