Best beginner metal detector for $100.00 or less?

UpstateCacheHunter

Nov 21, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre with a Garrett pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to this awesome hobby and looking from advice from everyone out there as to which metal detector is in my best interest. I'm going to be coin and cache hunting in many different environments such as beach, farm land, thick woods, and old Indian sites. Have a small budget to start but once work starts in the spring I'll spend much more. Any help is greatly appreciated as I value the professionalism of this board over some journalist or blog.

Thank you all and happy hunting!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
centech.jpg
Description
Cen-Tech.gif
One of the most sensitive metal detectors on the market, this metal detector identifies metal objects buried in the sand, covered by grass or otherwise hidden from sight. Find coins, old nails in used pieces of hardwood lumber and small logs, lost treasures along the beach or reclaim your lost keys in thick grass. The metal detector’s highly precise identification system features adjustable sensitivity. The metal detector includes a waterproof wand and a compact, lightweight design for easy extended operation.

• Detects metal objects in all directions
  • Highly precise identification system with adjustable sensitivity
  • Waterproof wand
  • Compact, lightweight design
  • Includes LED spotlight and carrying case
Uses one 9V battery (included).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no machine at $100.00 or less worth buying. Real metal detectors START at about $160.00 (Tesoro Compadre) and go up from there. Do your homework, and look for a good used machine if you have to. Good Hunting!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hobbylobby.jpg bh5.jpg With Coupon about $60.00 bucks. Found at Hobby Lobby.

Bounty Hunter's Tracker IV detector offers the excitement and profit of metal detecting at an accessible price, making it ideal for those just getting started.
With a fully submersible, 8-inch Bounty D-Tech search coil, the Tracker IV features three different operating modes to help you hit pay dirt.
Motion all-metals mode responds to any metals you sweep over, full discrimination mode rejects iron and other trash items, and tone discrimination alerts you with one or two audio pitches for different types of metals.
The Tracker IV does not have the LCD that many of Bounty Hunter's other models boast, featuring instead a large Sensitivity Meter.
Ground Trac, a feature that automatically balances the machine to the soil conditions, makes the Tracker IV a tremendous value.
Users will also enjoy Bounty Hunter's comprehensive, easy-to-understand online tutorial.
The Tracker IV runs off of two 9-volt alkaline batteries (not included in kit) and boasts a five-year limited warranty.
This metal detector is recommended for advanced treasure hunters.

Goose MKII

Oct 22, 2014
Niwot, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
New to this awesome hobby and looking from advice from everyone out there as to which metal detector is in my best interest. I'm going to be coin and cache hunting in many different environments such as beach, farm land, thick woods, and old Indian sites. Have a small budget to start but once work starts in the spring I'll spend much more. Any help is greatly appreciated as I value the professionalism of this board over some journalist or blog.

This is my advice to you...
I would never buy a brand new detector for under $100.00. You're better off coming up with another 50 bucks and buy a used one in that price range. In other words, you'll be getting a $300.00 detector per-se, for a fraction of its price...

For 40 dollars more, you could get a [14-1138070D] Garrett Ace 150 w/ 6.5x9" Coil from Kellyco.
That's a great deal for a detector that has high reviews. Highly rated.
The post below is from the vendor. It's a used detector, a demo detector perhaps

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/i...ieds/439810-garrett-ace-150-w-65-x9-coil.html

OP
OP
U

UpstateCacheHunter

Nov 21, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. Been researching a lot lately. I can definitely fork over some extra $$ knowing it will definitely be worth it. I found a Garrett ace 250 on eBay for $85.00 appears in good enough shape, but I'd much rather go new than used so I'll do what I gotta do.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

IMHO...I'd keep the 100 bucks in your pocket right now (or start purchasing some of the accessories that help make detecting more productive/fun). That price point is extremely limiting. Yes, you may find a handful of machines that beep, when you hold them over some metal, in some circumstances...why put yourself under such handicap, if you don't need to? You've already allowed for/ made a commitment to spend more in the spring.

Your profile says you are in NY, so weather and ground conditions might only allow for a few handfuls of hunting days over the winter anyway. If you just love being outdoors, spend that time doing some boots on the ground research of likely sites instead of kneeling in cold mud cursing that machine that's telling you all those bottlecaps you're digging are SUPPOSED to be nickels. Once you start to gain knowledge/experience, you're probably gonna want to go over all those spots again anyway, because the thoughts of all that you missed will probably drive you crazy enough to do so.

Buying new from a dealer is a smart thing to do for sure, and brings a number of benefits, but don't rule out the used market either. After several months of looking, I found a used a machine that I purchased for about 30% of it's MSRP with only 6-8 hours of use. Fortunately, it only took a couple of months to unlearn some bad habits developed from using a "budget" detector, but more importantly, I was able to start understanding what was happening under my coil, rather than just reacting to noises.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your coins and purchase a quality initial machine. Seriously. I spent approximately $220 on my first detector and although it worked, I would have been much better served by a Garrett 150 or Tesoro.
Please also realize, you MUST buy a pinpointer! Even an inexpensive one at first will expedite locating targets and keep you moving towards next.
Welcome UpstateCacheHunter!
Many here will help you.
GL+HH
Peace

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try looking on your local craigslist, there is often someone selling a detector there who does not want to go through the ebay process. You can counter offer there, where ebay is not always so accommodating. Don't buy too cheap or you may not like your results and you will wish you wouldve held out till better weather comes your way...and perhaps more money to spend.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As stated above you need some other stuff along with the detector //
a digging tool---trowel- shovel- or both
a pinpointer -- a must///
a sand scoop if doing beaches
a bag/to hold junk and finds
I would take a hard look at Craigs list --some sellers are selling there whole outfit///
stay with a unit at or above an ACE-250// Perry

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
You could probably get a used Ace-250 for 100 dollars. Most new metal detectors under $100 are not very reliable, and are more like a toy than a metal detector, some will not detect a quarter at one inch. Starting at 140 dollars you can start finding decent new metal detectors.

Coinman123,

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with villagenut, I'd look on craigslist and Ebay. I personally started with an $80 treasure cove metal detector from ebay. I bought it 3 years ago, and could not get the hang of it by simply reading the instructions, so it sat in the shed for 2 1/2 years. This past winter I stumbled upon this site and thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts. I read a lot on this forum as well as watched many YouTube videos and became very proficient with the detector (without all the bells and whistles). A month or so later, I wanted to go deeper than the 8 inch coil was limited to (and I wanted a detector with more options to include multiple coil choices) so I bought a used Fisher F4 with a DD coil for $104 below retail off of craigslit. I love the F4 for coin shooting. Mind you I started dirt fishing in early May of this year. I have since invested in a used Fisher F75 LTD SE since I am working on permissions to detect plowed fields where old homesteads once sat. I needed the increase in depth the F75 LTD SE gives since these sites have been plowed for 30 to 100 years after these homes were demolished. I took my brother-in-law out early in the summer and he got hooked by borrowing the $80 detector. He has since bought a whites MX5 detector. He bought my $80 detector for $40 so he can take out his grandson and see if he likes the hobby. By buying off of craigslist and ebay you may be sacrificing warranty, but that's the gamble I was ready to take. Like the old saying, "why buy new when used will do? Just think, if the metal detecting bug did not bite ( I have over 400 hours detecting this season), I'd have only been out of pocket $40 for the experience. By having some patience and shopping around I have saved over $400 dollars on the 2 Fisher metal detectors. I bought the F75 LTD SE for $800. it came with 2 coils, a Garret Pro pin pointer, a whites Classic SL metal detector, a set of army LBE to carry the Lesche Digging Cutting Tool w/ Sheath, as well as a Fisher 2 Pocket Camo Recovery Pouch, and a hard core home made digging shovel which is similar to a Lesche 40" Ground Shark Shovel. Good buys can be had with patience and vigilance as to what is for sale, and how motivated the seller is.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Craigslist would be my starting point for your budget. A Garrett 250 would be a great starter. I started with a 350 just for the extras it provided over a 250 but came close to getting a 250.

You will need a pinpointer for sure! I don't know how I would manage without one! They will run at least $60 for a cheap one. But you are on the right track looking used. Good luck.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone who says to look for a good used detector but I have to disagree with those that say a pin pointer is a must have. I have been hunting for about 40 years now and finally decided to buy a pin pointer last year. I used it one time, put it back in the box and went back to hunting the way I knew. If you get a good machine and learn how to use it you may decide that you don't need a pin pointer. But, the key is getting a good machine and practice, practice, practise.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with everyone who says to look for a good used detector but I have to disagree with those that say a pin pointer is a must have. I have been hunting for about 40 years now and finally decided to buy a pin pointer last year. I used it one time, put it back in the box and went back to hunting the way I knew. If you get a good machine and learn how to use it you may decide that you don't need a pin pointer. But, the key is getting a good machine and practice, practice, practise.
Yes a pinpointed is nice but it is not a must to have … when i started there were no pin pointers …. If your detector pin points really good you do not need a pin pointer to start …. After you get some extra cash you can then get a pinpointed ….. You can pick up a Harbor Freight Cen Tech pinpointed for about $17.00 and they work fine...

Jdubbya74

Jan 6, 2014
Denton County Tx
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with a bounty hunter tracker IV and found about 50.00 worth of change in a few weeks. I also found numerous rings, earrings, and charms etc. Also found relics like spurs and the like. The tracker IV is really lightweight and I never used a pinpointer cuz I would pick up the tector from my knees and swing it with ease over the hole. After a month I had made enough to return the detector to Academy, which they took back with no questions asked and upgrade to the detector I wanted. Now the tracker IV missed a bunch of stuff my new detector found, but the tracker did very well for me and got me hooked on the hobby. Good luck and just learn whatever machine you get and it will work for you!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree. It is kinda like having a smart phone. Yea it may make life a little easier for some folks, but many, like myself get along fine without one. Same with a pinpointer, It will save some time in "pinpointing" a target once your hole is open, but heck, how did we manage before they came along? We always found our target one handful of dirt at a time. Yes I would get a pinpointer if I were you.....but I would first invest that 60-100 dollars into an upgraded detector and worry about the pinpointer down the road. JMHO

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my advice to you...
I would never buy a brand new detector for under $100.00. You're better off coming up with another 50 bucks and buy a used one in that price range. In other words, you'll be getting a $300.00 detector per-se, for a fraction of its price...

For 40 dollars more, you could get a [14-1138070D] Garrett Ace 150 w/ 6.5x9" Coil from Kellyco.
That's a great deal for a detector that has high reviews. Highly rated.
The post below is from the vendor. It's a used detector, a demo detector perhaps

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/i...ieds/439810-garrett-ace-150-w-65-x9-coil.html

The garret ACE 150 is not as good as this Bounty Hunter. I disagree.

OP
OP
U

UpstateCacheHunter

Nov 21, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended up getting a Tesoro compadre and a Garrett pinpointer. Can't wait to get started, though I'm going to have to wait a while. Upstate NY winters make for unreasonable digging. I plan to spend the winter researching, studying old maps, and learning my machine. My uncle lives in the heart of civil war Virginia, so if I enjoy it as much as I suspect I might, I will be headed to visit him for a week or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread