Best brand of underwater metal detector?

RonPaul2012

Greenie
Apr 16, 2009
Upvote 0

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As always, I'm a Garrett fan. The Sea Hunter Mk2 is an excellent machine.

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
The Garrett LS Infinium is the newest machine in my arsenal,it has given me a hard time but I found out after sending it in for repairs it had a bad coil. Garrett's costumer service was great ..............if you get this unit be prepared to dig ,this is a deeeeeeeeeeeep seeking machine I dug a large bobby pin and I think I took it off a Chinese ladies head.............

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you need a discriminator (to pass nails, iron, etc...) then the Minelab Excaliber is a good choice. The tooty-fluty sounds will drive you nuts at first. But once you get used to it, you'll learn the songs :)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
If you need a discriminator (to pass nails, iron, etc...) then the Minelab Excaliber is a good choice. The tooty-fluty sounds will drive you nuts at first. But once you get used to it, you'll learn the songs :)

It can make some beautiful music!

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
The folks associated with the Mel Fisher group use the Excalibur. They even have a poster from Minelab advertising that fact in their museum in Florida.

I was talking to some of the folks in the museum and they say that the reason why they use the Excalibur is because they feel it is the best technology out for underwater work.

I use the Excalibur because it is so adaptable. I have modified it with a straight shaft and have put Grey Ghost headphones on it. I also have made it possible to swap coils on it. If I want to dive with it, I can chest mount it. Or I can set it up with a short straight shaft and dive with it. With the long straight shaft, I can wade with it in the surf and find jewelry lost by swimmers. Or I can use it on the dry sand with the larger coil and find stuff lost in the sand. Or I can use it on dry land.

I think of it as the 'Duck" of the metal detecting world. It can land almost anywhere. It can fly anywhere. An all purpose bird.

Come to think of it, I cannot even think of another detector out there that is so adaptable.

The Garrett machine is nice, and I have seen lots of them being used. The owners of them really like them a lot.

But the Excalibur, with its ability to be adapted for almost every situation, would be my choice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions