apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, I know this question has been asked, but I will ask it again. My pics for the bay are something less than desired. I need to find more professional photo gear, but don't want to pay too much. Do I get a better I-phone (I heard they take great pics) or go off and get a new camera? I need close up shots and my first edition I-phone and low down cheapy camera does not do justice to the close ups I need. Glare is a problem too as I list glass items. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you want to see my ebay store (which is very small potatoes), it is Callie's Collectibles. See the pics, and see what I mean. HELP! apush

Last edited:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pics look good to me. You could use a little more light. Sometimes the brightness setting on ebay helps a lot. I like how you put the fabric in the glass so you could read the writing. I have that problem a lot and the best I could think of was a paper towel.

I use to have the first edition Iphone 3g and the photos were not as good as people who had flip phones. I sold mine on ebay and 10 months later someone was buying itunes giftcards with my account in another country. Itunes sorted it out pretty quickly. However I wiped the phone was someone was really determined.

The only advice I can contribute is my laptop has an sd slot and its pretty fast to pull the chip from my camera and plug it into my computer.

Can you tell me which size mens clothing sells the best?

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I just started selling two weeks ago. I use my iPhone 5s and take pictures in natural light on the back porch. I put the items on a white piece of cardboard. I don't have a store but my seller name is huntswithson if you want to take a look.

And thanks for the info on the clothing, I'll be looking out for some come yard sale season.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I am using a cheap kodak easy share cd82,it seems to do a good job unless I am shaking real bad that day.If I take the time to use a tripod it can not be beat.

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an Olympus sp-600uz 12 mega pixel with a 15x wide optical zoom lens. It has macro and super macro features that get awesome close ups. It has settings that can change the color of the lighting on the item with out actually using a different light. this helps get a better true color for the item. Most of the time I don't even need to use the flash with these settings. I almost always use mine with a tripod. It has image stabilization that helps too. I love it . I paid $139.00 new at Costco a couple of years ago. As far as the Kodak Cameras go I started out with them. I had three different ones and everyone just didn't have the quality of photos that I wanted.

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many point and shoot cameras.. I've been in the photography business as a portrait and wedding photographer for 20+ years.. I would recommend you check out this site... Steves Digicams - Digital Camera Reviews, Camera News, and Photography Information Look over the cameras in your price range and you can get a idea of what may suit you. Also, the iPhone 4/4s/5 take EXCELLENT photos.. I have no problem recommending one of these. Oh, and make sure you buy one that takes normal batteries like AA or AAA.

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree with using the iphone 4 for photos. I have recently tried using my iPhone 4 when I didn't have my Olympus camera with me. It does ok on regular shots. But if you need to do close ups of makers marks on jewelry or anything else close up with a lot of detail it just will not get a good photo.

ctalmadg

Jul 27, 2003
Honeoye Falls, NY (Fingerlakes Area)
Detector(s) used
White / Fisher / DJI Cellar Hole Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the macro function on a iPhone. Not too good. A point and shoot with a macro function or a SLR with a macro 1:1 lens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
apush

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumpsterdiver,
It really is a hit and miss on men's size--the exception is the larger sizes such as the XL, XXL, etc--those seem to sell well--especially in the shirt department. Same for ladies as well.

Getting those close up shots with details (mint/makers mark) is my biggest challenge. Thanks to all for your wonderful advice!
apush

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Just wanted to add that for close up shots I use a magnifying glass that is the shape of a credit card. In one corner there is a circle the size of a dime. That 5X magnification circle fits perfectly over my iPhone camera. I got it at either AC Moore or Michaels. Here is an example.

image-3911465003.jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many point and shoot cameras.. I've been in the photography business as a portrait and wedding photographer for 20+ years.

I used to do that, had the only studio in the county. Hated it! I love action and outdoor photography. I was offered a job as a police photographer for the county. Came with a badge and a gun. I shut that studio down in a heart beat. One of the best jobs I have had.

Off the subject a bit Miss Callie, an SLR (single lens reflex) camera is the way to go. (you look into the viewfinder and you see through the lens) With the other type of camera it is hard to frame your subject properly. (you are not looking through the lens) I have a Minolta SLR that at times gives me fits when I need extreme closeups. But with this camera I can be 5 feet away and get the closeup shot I need. The I will load it into my computer and edit it to the size I like for ebay 600 x 400 or so.

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I wanted to add something. I forgot about an app I have, it's called Mag. Light. It's the free version but seems to work well. Here are two pictures.

image-411727593.jpg

image-3630772208.jpg

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried the mag light. It works great. Thanks for the suggestion hunts with son!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
100% of our ebay pictures are taken with an iPhone 4S. No, it isn't a Nikon, but it does take stunning pictures most of the time.

I will be upgrading to a 5S very soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread