best case senerio, I saved someone a trip to the ER

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
well it was far from my best lunch break find, but I feel great about it. The long aluminum piece was recovered from a grass volleyball court in an older forest preserve. It was in the field of play and about a 1/2 inch of the sharp end was facing up! I can see myself digging a ball or attempting a diving play and landing on this. Being aluminum my detector was going nuts for a wide range. Trying to pin point where to dig first I saw the tip sticking from the ground.

It just goes to show that us detectorist make little differences in the world that many may not know of. I'm sure most of you have also recovered dangerous sharp objects, that someone who didn't hurt themselves (because of you) will never know the better. For that I thank you all for what you do.

Please feel free to add to this thread:

What were some of the nasty objects you removed while detecting, I love to hear the stories and see the pictures if any.

Thank you,
Rumblebelly

Attachments

• P1011457.JPG
    P1011457.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 711
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
your a good man!!!---all most folks and kids that use the parks-- have no idea how much dangerous trash MD'ers remove daily from the parks---found some sicko had busted a glass pop bottle by a slide where the kids land at ( the glass was in the "chips" took me a while but I removed it)---twisted freak--- to set up a little kid up to be hurt--- wish I saw him do it----there would have been a "citizens arrest" on the spot for endangering the public safety--*** cops have kids that play the in parks too.---and even the the cons (by and largethat is) hate folks that hurt kids ---(because most cons were "abused"at one tome or another) ---Ivan

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Here's a nasty looking piece I pulled out of the ground the other day, most of it was just an inch or so under ground, with the tip sticking out. Coulda been really bad for someone!

Attachments

• nasty.jpg
    nasty.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 635

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job, Rumble. I'm always on "no discrimination" when I'm detecting tot lots to pull out dangers. Least I can do for the munchkins.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
When I first started out detecting I used to hit tot lots often (easy digging and plenty of targets).

Twice I removed used syringes from the wood chips with no cap over the needle. Both play areas were in up-scale suburbs.

B

BIG61AL

A two foot section of barb wire from a sled hill and a metal plate 6 inches by 12 inches by 1/4 inch that just the grass [no dirt] had covered up from a soccer field. Can you imagine the damage if a kid's head hit that while they were playing.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep a plastic pail in my trunk for the junk I pull out at parks and playgrounds. I once had a young mother light into me angrily: "That doesn't belong to you! That's like stealing!" as I was digging a target. Later I pulled out the pail from my nearby car trunk and walked back to where she was and said "These don't belong to me, either, want me to put them back where your kid is playing?" I had 15 lbs of razor blades, hypodermics, rusty whatzits, sharp pieces of can slaw, a 5" length of knife blade and oodles of bottle caps, pulltabs, etc. Of course. I'd fished all the nastiest items to the top of the pail before I presented it. She said "I can't believe it!" and apologized.

I've showed the same types of results to the town parks superintendent and see it as insurance for continued permission.

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever noticed all of the ground up metal in wood chip playgrounds?...I seem to always find a bunch that was ground up I guess when the wood chips were made.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job RB! Like the Doc in Back to the Future said, anything you do now can have serious repercussions on future events..

Sometimes I pick up nails I find in the street to save someone a costly tire repair bill or something worse..anything you can do to save someone needless grief is always a good thing.

Nat

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
I, too, have removed my share of potentially dangerous objects from all kinds of locations, including a recent school hunt where I dug a one-hand-opening knife...with the blade open. With the warm weather coming, I'd hate to think of what would have happened to someone walking barefoot.

I've never found a syringe in the wood chips (Danimal, hope you were wearing gloves!), but the other day I had a young mother approach me and actually THANK ME for removing trash and sharp objects from the tot lot. I almost fell over.

MP

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
i was gettin ripped up cans like crazy in a sports field,, i got booted,, showed the guy lots of parts,, he cared more how the field looked and the sprinkler heads,, even after i showed him where 2 were....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread