Greenie
Jan 2, 2018
Republic of Texas ;-)
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I'm a noob and I'm having a heck of a time with my detector. Though when at the beach (Galveston) it seems like I'm constantly getting ghost signals especially closer to the water. Anyway I've got a Minelab xterra 705 (gold) with the elliptical 18.75 kHz "water resistant" coil. I know there's a beach setting but I'm not sure what it does exactly. But I'd like to be able to detect in the shallows so I'm thinking about getting a waterproof coil. My options are 3, 7.5 or 18.75 kHz. Not sure what the best one is for the beach which lends itself to coin and jewelry hunting. Also, there's a diameter issue as well... a 6" digger or a 15“ beast.

Any advice for beach hunting, and for the coil, what would you choose - KHz wise and diameter wise?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705 is not a beach detector, it is a single freq detector, salt has metal minerials in it, single freq detectors can not handle the salt, it thinks there is metal everywhere. No matter what coil you use it will be the same result.

705 can be used in the dry sand above the high tide line, if you want to hunt wet salt beaches you will need to buy a salt water detector. You need a multi freq or pulse detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread