Best coin detector?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was using older analog machines and found lots of coins....then i switched to a digital machine and don`t find as many coins with that so ...who knows

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was hunting with a $200 machine I used to find lots of coins. Now I hunt with a $1,200 machine and hardly find any. ;)

Last edited:

yesiamapirate

Greenie
Apr 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wit, I am going to buy a detector in the next few weeks. I notice that you have the Garrett AT PRO and a Minelab SE. I have the AT PRO on my short list as well as a Minelab E TRAC. There is a huge difference in the price of these two. Is the difference worth the money in your opinion ? Others in the short list are Whites V3i, Fisher F75, and even that new Nokta Golden Sense. What are your thoughts ? Anyone else please feel free to comment.

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Pete & yesiamapirate,
LOTS of coins can still be found with older machines! BUT for some of the older machines they lack coil choices and the machines can have lots of problems around power lines and with gopher holes. For instance, my 6000D will still find coins as long as I have all the settings marked and then just switch between them and bingo I know what is in the ground before I pull it out, that holds for about 96% of the targets.

The new machines take knowing them deep down and that means lots of experience is needed especially with menu driven detectors. Once a person knows their machine and they keep up with forums about their machine well, a person could become deadly with "their" machine.......63bkpkr

Steveo

Jun 12, 2012
upstate Ny
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett gtp1350, Garrett ace150, Whites M6, Whites XLT, Whites QTX, Tesoro Silver Umax,
(RETIRED> ☆Whites Coinmaster TR, ☆Whites Coinmaster 2 TR AM)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my opinion,most any detector will hit on average depth coins (3"-6") The trick is to get the coil over a coin,then the rest is up to the operator.That's all I dare to say. Good luck................................

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The best coin machine I ever used was a Troy Shadow X-3. It had the coin check and the nickel check toggle and it was light, fast, and the 7 inch coil was perfect for almost any situation. The E-trac is a very good coin machine but if you are just wanting to do a quick coin hunt it is slow. The Whites Prizm 6t was also a pretty good coin machine it was also very light and pretty fast. I hope to be getting a backup soon and if I can find a good price on a X-3, I will definitely purchase it just for quick park and school coin hunts.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Steveo said:
In my opinion,most any detector will hit on average depth coins (3"-6") The trick is to get the coil over a coin,then the rest is up to the operator.That's all I dare to say. Good luck................................

This is the best advice I have read.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
BigPete, you ask a good question. There is no best machine. Too many variables, too many different things to consider. It's transcendental. I see you have an m6. Use that, 7tone, zero scrim, sensible sense, put four seasons on it. Its a great coin machine. m6 is some of the best coin killer going.

Last edited:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The minelabs Quattro or safari is quite capable of finding coins only (99%), if that is what you want. It would take some time to be proficient. All ID machines have problems IDing deep targets though.
I think a garrett pro pointer allows one to find and remove shallow targets quite easily and really makes digging all good sounding targets with an inexpensive analog detector like those offered by Tesoro a viable alternative to ID Machines. If I was just starting out, I would consider the new Tesoro Outlaw that comes with 3 coils.

Last edited:

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the ace 250 is a coin machine

A/CMan

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Golden umax with the clean and sweep coil !

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The best detector is the one that is in the middle of your headphones....

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions