Best coin sorter?

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
I am aware of two different coin sorter, specifically for pennies.

The first is the "Penny Miser". The best thing about these is the price. They cost around 40 to 70 dollars each. Their website is http://www.jmdaniel.com/. Unfortunately they can only run at best 3000 pennies per hour, and those pennies must be constantly loaded into the machine, meaning you cant really just load it up and leave.

I'm not sure if it is true but the Penny Miser is also touted as not damaging to the coins. Whether there is another coin sorter out there that does occasionally damage coins I don't know.

The second is the "Ryedale". These things range in price from 500 to 750 each plus shipping. There website is http://www.ryedalecoin.com/index.html. I cant find it on the website but apparently these babies can process around 18,000 pennies per hour. With speed like that, I would assume that these also would require nearly constant attention to keep them loaded.

With this said I have a few question...

1) In your experience, does the Ryedale ever damage any coins?

2) Is there another coin sorter out there that is somewhere between these two in terms of capacity and price?

The only way I could justify the purchase of the Ryedale would be if I was doing several hundred dollars worth of pennies every week at least. Maybe eventually I would come to that but its hard to justify it when you are just getting started...lol

Input much appreciated.

Thanks.

PS My first order of 1000 dollars in halves will be here late next week. Wish me luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
It just occurred to me that I could probably run 6 of the "Penny Miser" and get the same amount of production as from one "Ryedale" for less than half the cost of a Ryedale.

SMPress

Oct 5, 2009
Southern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Blue and Gray, XLT, DFX, Spectrum V3, Beachhunter 300
How do they determine the difference between copper and zinc? Is it a size thing? Weight? Magnetism? I dont get it. I have been doing it by hand, I can see the attractiveness of one of these, if they actually work. I can imagine buying the expensive one though...

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
i bought my ryedale a while back when the prices were less.

you can do a lot of pennies with the rydale. most people find 25% coppers. where i live its about half that.

its hard to sell coppers now but it wasn't that long ago that they were being bought on ebay for about 1.6 cents each.

once you have copper, then you look for wheats and indians.

there is a lot of work in sourcing coins, returning coins, searching your coppers for wheats, etc. once you get a system though you can do a lot.

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I assume you are trying to sort the copper from the zinc.
None better than the Ryedale. Coin damage is virtually impossible.
Andy has the BEST customer service and makes the best machine for the price.
You can't go wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread