PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I have been seeing some really cool finds.

So, I dug out a couple photos of what my brother and I recovered in one search.

We used two metal detectors. An old Fisher discriminator and a Radio Shack Discovery 3000.

metaldetect2.jpg

metaldetect3.jpg

This find was actually written up in Lost Treasure magazine Jan 99, page 43. "The Easter Recovery"

It seemed worth sharing with my fellow treasure hunters.

I hope you enjoy seeing it.

Patrick

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, I just realized that these are probably the least fancy metal detectors to use.

So, its not the size of the metal detector but where you use it :).

Patrick

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting your finds. I have a White's Coinmaster (a very basic, simple machine) and can't wait for the day I find "keepers" instead of pull tabs, bottle caps and bobby pins!

HH,
Anita

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Anita,

I have found that there is a direct proportion of hunting & finding based on the effort put into site selection.

Hey, maybe we can start collecting pull tabs and cash them in for the recycled metal then pay off the national debt.

Patrick

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cools finds, Patrick! Glad you decided to post. Looks like that really was a great day. Where were you guys hunting, and how old is this stuff?

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cools finds, Patrick! Glad you decided to post. Looks like that really was a great day. Where were you guys hunting, and how old is this stuff?

Hi Sam,

Well, there is a story behind this find. It warranted a three page article in Lost Treasure magazine back in 99.

A friend of the family had a massive house fire. Many family heirlooms and jewelry were thought lost. She was heart sick over the loss of jewelry that had both cash and sentimental value.

My brother and I went through the charcoal ashes of what was once a house and recovered all of the items. This was done on the afternoon/evening of Easter Sunday.

She was so relieved to have all of her valuables returned.

The most interesting find was copper nuggets throughout the ash. This was the electrical wiring that melted during the fire. I kept a couple of those and returned all the other items to the rightful owner.

This was probably the most satisfying find getting to return those items.

Patrick

Age_old

Jul 30, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, great story! That was very nice of you, and I am sure it meant the world to her. Also very, very cool you got a spot in Lost Treasure!

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Sam,

Getting a spot in a magazine isnt hard. They have a continual need for material just to publish the magazine.

On top of that, there are not as many positive stories about metal detecting. Normally we hear about legalities of searching sites and the subsequent damage done by a poorly trained hunter digging holes and leaving a mess. Having a positive story with a heart warming feeling in it makes the find more appealing.

The lesson here is to search burned out buildings when possible. This find was like those fishing stories you hear where every cast catches a fish.

Patrick

OP
OP
PatrickD

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sam,

Check out the pictures I uploaded in the Gold Prospecting thread. It is titled "Quartz Heart". It is a piece of quartz I found in Northern New Mexico.

Patrick

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread