Best day yet! 52 coins and 2 rings. Ace 250 FTW!

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I LOVE ACE 250!!

I haven't posted in the 'today's finds' for a while because I was waiting until I had much more experience and something more substantial than a small handful of change. Even though this may not compare with many of the daily postings as far as 'substance', I am mighty proud of my reward for today, being basically still new to the hobby of metal detecting.

Before I get to my finds, I'd like to just bring up some 'newbie' observations...

To be honest, I was getting sort of discouraged about my lack of success until this week... I think it is worth noting that, being new to the hobby, one doesn't yet know what a 'hunted out' area is like, and might, as I did for a while, assume all the failing is due to inexperience with the machine as opposed to there simply not being many targets. This became abundantly clear as soon as I found an area that wasn't already extremely picked over. What a difference!! That said, spending 15-20 hours in nothing-land followed by 10-15 more in places with lots of stuff to find, I feel much more confident and comfortable in my still developing detector abilities, having gained a more balanced sense of when the problem is me not being familiar with the type of area I am detecting versus the area itself just being too emptied out. Now I am starting to get a better understanding of how important it is not only to know how to pick the best parts of any particular location to get results, but also when you should just pick a new location.

Also, I wanted to mention one other thing I noticed. On the net, and this forum especially, you see experienced hunters giving advice all the time to hunt in tot lots, and many of these are accompanied by photos off tons of coins found there. But, in my experience of hunting in about a dozen of these places, in all shapes and sizes, I have yet to find ANYTHING in them. Even when the surrounding area outside the tot lots is producing like mad, the tot lots themselves have all been complete barren for me... This makes me wonder, are there people out there who just detect tot lots exclusively? Do they go out and just drive to 20 of them a day and consider that as making the most of the hobby? I went to two tot lots today and, as usual, I didn't get a single beep!

And now for the goods:
2010 01 19 - Metal Detecting 003.jpg
11 Quarters
5 Dimes
2 Nickels
34 Pennies
2010 01 19 - Metal Detecting 003 - 1945 Cent.jpg
1 Wheat (1945, not rare itself, but rare to dig up!)
2010 01 19 - Metal Detecting 003 - Nike Ring.jpg
2010 01 19 - Metal Detecting 003 - Pink CZ Ring.jpg
2 Silver rings (both 925, one with a Nike logo, one with a pink heart-shaped CZ)
1 Partridge in a pear tree (j/k)

This took me about 5-6 hours to accumulate, but I was also digging a ton of totally obvious non-coin targets (which is why I got two rings!). The ACE 250 is *AWESOME* about coins, it never lies!! Ok, it lies sometimes, but all of those times are like bubble-gum foil, and usually easy to figure out when sweeping from multiple directions.

Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
comfortablynumb said:
One of the more experienced MD that frequents a KC forum says he prefers the poorer neighborhood tot lots in KC; his rationale being the parents tend to put the gold chains, earrings & rings on their kids as a sign of "status."

The only shiny stuff you see on the kids in my community are the clasps on their overalls!!! ;D (jk). Seriously, I don't think the folks in my town are overly concerned with status when they're out at the park....just what's in the picnic basket!!!
Yeah, I have heard this also from several members here. I don't live near anywhere that I would encounter such a thing, but I guess the trade-off for the better 'treasure' would be the risk to enter such a place with your expensive equipment and not lose that AND your finds.
Rickiowa2009 said:
Thanks, man!
Great Job, one day at a time!

Happy Harry

Feb 15, 2008
San Mateo County California
Detector(s) used
ACE250,Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG Things will just keep popping up. I use an ACE250 and have for two years. I am still amazed that I am still learning the differences when using different coils and different settings. Tot-lots are where I started and still have a list of the ones that produce on a regular basis. I do live in a large Urban area. San Francisco Bay Area. I have hunted empty lots old home sites and parks. I have had the best luck in parks where I see people playing vollyball or soccor. I go back after they are gone or early in the morning. I hit parks early Monday or Sunday mornings. I also look for the oldest parks I ask the rangers which parks are the oldest. I also research through the local historical society city, county, or state. Look in the yellow pages if you don't know if one exists or check with your local library.

The more you go out the more you will want to go out. "I am Hooked".
Have fun enjoy the hobby! HHHH

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My secret to tot lot hunting is the early bird gets the worm! Sounds like your lots are hammered pretty hard! When the time changes back before school lets out.....try hunting on a Thurs. or Fri. night. Bet you beat those Sat. hunters to the goodies! And also, you will start to recognize footie prints in the sand (if that's what your lots are filled with!) It's a dead give away when you seen patterned tracks around the equipment! You know someone has beat you to the treasure! You'll develop your own style and routines....Just remember to "think" like the treasure you seek! "Where would I land if I were a ........."

Good luck and Happy Hunting!
Moon

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Rickiowa2009 said:
Great Job, one day at a time!
Indeed, can't argue with that!

Happy Harry said:
WTG Things will just keep popping up. I use an ACE250 and have for two years. I am still amazed that I am still learning the differences when using different coils and different settings. Tot-lots are where I started and still have a list of the ones that produce on a regular basis. I do live in a large Urban area. San Francisco Bay Area. I have hunted empty lots old home sites and parks. I have had the best luck in parks where I see people playing vollyball or soccor. I go back after they are gone or early in the morning. I hit parks early Monday or Sunday mornings. I also look for the oldest parks I ask the rangers which parks are the oldest. I also research through the local historical society city, county, or state. Look in the yellow pages if you don't know if one exists or check with your local library.

The more you go out the more you will want to go out. "I am Hooked".
Have fun enjoy the hobby! HHHH
I guess I won't give up on the tot lots just yet, but it's not easy to convince myself to go into them when I have such luck everywhere else. I seriously think there's one local guy who's entire hobby is just skimming those things. In Texas, all the state parks have banned metal detecting entirely. You mentioned rangers, so I assume you mean state parks. But yeah, ACE 250 has no problem whatsoever with making things 'pop up', heh.

SkyPirate said:
Garrett rules! :headbang:
Sure does! I can't wait until I have saved up enough to try out some more of their detectors, I'm lucky to have a local dealer nearby. Garrett FTW!

Moonshadow said:
My secret to tot lot hunting is the early bird gets the worm! Sounds like your lots are hammered pretty hard! When the time changes back before school lets out.....try hunting on a Thurs. or Fri. night. Bet you beat those Sat. hunters to the goodies! And also, you will start to recognize footie prints in the sand (if that's what your lots are filled with!) It's a dead give away when you seen patterned tracks around the equipment! You know someone has beat you to the treasure! You'll develop your own style and routines....Just remember to "think" like the treasure you seek! "Where would I land if I were a ........."

Good luck and Happy Hunting!
Moon
Thanks for the tip, I will try that out for sure. Here we have some with sand but most of the ones I am finding have the small multi-colored pebbles that make it difficult to see the larger footsteps over all the little ones, but yeah, I know what you're talking about regarding the patterned tracks, I just saw that at a volleyball place, heh.

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
HEY MAN! I did miss this post somehow. Nicely done! I love the heart ring! I'm glad you found a place that hasn't been touched and is really producing for you! Keep it up.

TG

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Texasgopher said:
HEY MAN! I did miss this post somehow. Nicely done! I love the heart ring! I'm glad you found a place that hasn't been touched and is really producing for you! Keep it up.

TG
Thanks, man, I appreciate it! I'm preparing another post right now that I will post after messing around in photoshop. Have you been finding some good stuff lately?

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Congrats on the find looks like you had a great day. Seems you're getting the hang of both the detector and location. I too tried detecting in some unusual places and found got some great finds. I also had little luck at tot lots. When I go to some places that are very high traffic and I know havent been detected I find they are littered with coins.

OP
OP
EpsilonMinus

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Sky1 said:
Congrats on the find looks like you had a great day. Seems you're getting the hang of both the detector and location. I too tried detecting in some unusual places and found got some great finds. I also had little luck at tot lots. When I go to some places that are very high traffic and I know havent been detected I find they are littered with coins.
Thank, man! I am finding out similar things to what you say. Seriously, it's pretty amazing how different different parts of any location can very in finds, especially public parks. One corner will have tons of clad and nothing else, then the other corner will have scattered silver but no clad. I am finding that when the finds are thin I increase my luck by moving 100 feet in any direction. Have you been posting your finds? I'd like to check that out!

Texasgopher

Jan 26, 2009
Amarillo
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
What you just said is one of the things I find most fascinating about this hobby but is rarely talked about. Every spot, to me, has it's own personality. The more time I spend at one spot learning it's personality the better I do. The places I know really well I can get a mind set about the place and how to hunt before I ever even get there. It's all about adapting to the different locations. And I'm working on my own post right now so look for mine and I'll look for yours. :icon_thumright:

TG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread