Best deep relic machine?

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tejon' if you don't want screens and a bunch of settings to fiddle with. I liked the trigger for PP and second disc mode. Lifetime warranty's also a plus

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Tejons definately on my list....how does the ctx do on relics and what kinda depth are you guys getting with it compared to say the Tejon or MXT pro?

stillrollin300

Jan 15, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ace 350, Garrett Infinium, AT Pro, ATX, GPX 4800, E-Trac, DMC 2B
I have a safari and I have had some really good success digging deep targets (bullets at 12 inches). A buddy of mine swings a Nautalis DMC IIba and that thing gets deep and is super sensitive. I've seen him get solid signals on p-caps at 8-10 inches.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd like to see a youtube "shootout" on this topic. And not in TEST BED but in a real plowed field where the bullets have not been planted or placed. Get a bunch of guys. Go to a field. Get a signal from a machine. Then check it with the other machines before you dig it. Check and see how the machines hear these targets. Then this would settle some of the debate once and for all.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In good ground I'd put my money on the IIb. I've seen some outrages claims in detector depth over the years, but that detector with the 15" coil are probably the only ones I believe.

I'm glad I caught this thread because I just recently discovered Minelab will probably charge me a fortune to fix my current SE and decided to go with something else for a back up... and I really liked the Nautilus a lot.

Last edited:

hereandthen

Greenie
May 3, 2010
Durham, NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab GPX 4800, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah Tejons definately on my list....how does the ctx do on relics and what kinda depth are you guys getting with it compared to say the Tejon or MXT pro?

One machine you should definitely consider, in my opinion, is the Teknetics T2 SE. I've had the CTX, an MXT Pro, a Spectra V3, an ETRAC, AT- Gold, and a GPX 4800. Of all the VLF machines, the T2 is the deepest and has the fastest response in my experience. I'm a woods/field relic hunter and use the machine in all metal mode 99% of the time. The site I've been hunting for the past two seasons is pasture and relics are 6" to 11" deep. I've dug many a minie (!) that was 11" with the T2.

The T2 also does well in highly mineralized soils such as the notorious red dirt of Culpeper although a PI machine will undoubtedly give you better depth there. Another thing I like about it is the weight and ergonomics -- it's a very light machine to swing and incredibly well-balanced.

I liked the CTX because, unlike the ETRAC, it could be manually ground-balanced. However I found its response time was still slower than the T2 and it is much heavier.

Whatever you decide, the good news is that there are some great VLFs out there today. Good luck.

Jim

Jim

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Tesoro Tejon. After that, it is time to graduate to a Pulse Induction machine. The Garrett ATX is impressing a LOT of relic hunters. The king is still the Minelab GPX series.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My choices
Deus xp
Ctx 3030
V3i, etrac
F75,safari se pro, t2
mxt pro, xterra 705, mx6,dfx
Atpro,gti 2500

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OMG why don't you want a PI machine for relic hunting? I attend the DIV hunts in Virginia and started out using the MXT PRO which did ok but I noticed that everyone was either using the Minelab GPX or White's TDI. I ended up buying a used TDI for less than $600 and took it back to the next DIV and went to the same spot I hunted with my MXT and was digging bullets 18" deep with nice loud tones. My buddy couldn't even get a signal with his F75 LTD. He now has the TDI. I mainly hunt relics and in two years I have only turned my MXT PRO on twice. I use my TDI even here in east Tennessee. Sometime I find hot soil like in Virginia but I just love the machine. It is a brass magnet. The TDI will give a high tone for brass and low tone for iron. Bullets have a tone all of their own. It is extremely easy to use and is a turn and go machine. No display but I never use a display hunting relics anyway. Even with my MXT PRO I hunt by tones as soil conditions and depth will throw a VDI off. I know you are looking at a VLF machine but I would highly consider a PI. You can find used TDI's between $500 and $700 which is well worth the money. As far as a VLF machine I believe most will max out at a certain depth. I am hearing good things about the AT GOLD and T2 as far as relic hunting. But for depth I would recommend the TDI or GPX (much more expensive) especially since you live in Virginia where there is some hot soil especially around Culpeper area.

Last edited:

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the Ga. coast I used to get buttons and coins @14-16 inches with the IIb. I cant swing the heavy thing now and have gone to the T-2 Its a good machine. My Nautilus IIb has been gathering dust now for 6 years. 350 dust included.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a hardcore Nautilus freak! Super heavy,super ugly, and super deep! BUT good luck with the current owners of the company if you need service! Just got my new Teknetics T2 se Fri.

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Tejon myself. Then I would look at the T2SE if I wanted a screen to look at.

kyskinner

Oct 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
T2se. tesero tejon. white xlt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how do a PI machine wrok do they discrimanate out any thing or are they all metal

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a hardcore Nautilus freak! Super heavy,super ugly, and super deep! BUT good luck with the current owners of the company if you need service! Just got my new Teknetics T2 se Fri.
You will love it! I used to deal with Jerry @ tyndall and never a problem.Now another one bites the dust.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you can get your hands on a used Fisher 1266X, you would be doing well for yourself. They are legendary and are known as good relic machines. I had one, but not for relics, but for coin hunting. Loved it with the dual discrimination. Wish I still had the 1266X!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must agree with newfiehunter,but i cant disagree with any other machines, because the fisher 1266x and 1270 is all i have ever used.Found some deep shells and balls with the 1266x in the past,and i am digging big iron and bullets pretty deep with the 1270 now.Once you get a good "ear" for the fisher,i dont think they work as bad as some people say in heavy iron consentrated places either.Fishers never steered me wrong.I miss the 1266x too!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tejon Most def, goes deeper than my XLT but for the SUPER HOT ROCK SPOTS in my area ; a PI type machine is def, in order .
likely a used Whites cause I need a truck more than a high end detector.
Davers

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently purchased the F75 ltd....chose it over the T2 because of the backlight and the faqct that it keeps your settings when turned off. I dont beleive there is a deeper Vlf machine made than these two. Tried a Tejon out for a while, and it was deep, in most areas. It really lost its strength in the bad ground of a few of my spots. I guess for my next machine i will be looking at PI machines. I am very attracted to the new ATX, but i am waiting for more relic hunting videos and reviews. The TDI is also being looked at. The Minelabs are way too pricey and not a consideration. Probably going to end up with a ATX unless i start hearing some bad reports, then it will probably be a TDI. Thanks to all!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions