Best detector for finding deep silver coins?

Bungyrich

Oct 18, 2012
us
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's V3i, stock coil and 18x15 SEF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I am looking to buy a new detector but can't decide which is the best for finding deep silver. I have used an AT Pro and a v3i all have disappointed me in finding a silver quarter at 12-14" I hear that lower frequency detectors are better for finding deeper higher conductivity targets. What are others experiences in a good detector that can handle this? I am looking to keep it under $700

Upvote 0

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck when you figure this out... It is very hard with any detector to find a coin deeper than 10 inches. The etrac is probably the most popular for finding deep silver coins. I'm not sure there's anything though under 700?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check on the Nokta Fors CoRe, multiple owners are reporting 13-14" on it.......

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Under $700? Not gonna find it. I can tell you that RIGHT NOW the CTX3030 is the silver king of detectors. Jury is still out on the Nokta for me. My partner has one, but since he got it, we haven't found any ultra deep targets to compare each unit with. I know My CTX will find silver dimes at 12" because I have dug them that deep.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Under $700? Not gonna find it. I can tell you that RIGHT NOW the CTX3030 is the silver king of detectors. Jury is still out on the Nokta for me. My partner has one, but since he got it, we haven't found any ultra deep targets to compare each unit with. I know My CTX will find silver dimes at 12" because I have dug them that deep.

The CTX is great in non trashy areas.... but in trashy areas, it nulls out on the iron and many detectors are so much better in a trashy environment... look at u-tube vids... The Etrac will hear silver coins that the CTX 3030 cant even hear...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX is great in non trashy areas.... but in trashy areas, it nulls out on the iron and many detectors are so much better in a trashy environment... look at u-tube vids... The Etrac will hear silver coins that the CTX 3030 cant even hear...

Sorry, thats complete rubish. Buy one and use it for a year before making comments. I used the E-Trac for 5 years, and I have had the CTX for almost 2 years. I speak from experience, not third-hand comments. Don't make your decisions based on what you see on a youtube video.

Last edited:

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you get, I would suggest you hunt the deep silver when the ground is absolutely soaking wet from several days of rain to get a nice big halo. Cheers!!

oldsurfer

Feb 22, 2015
Florida West Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Whites Coinmaster Classic III (oldie!), Bounty Hunter Land Tracker, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know how much success you'll have at finding ANYTHING that consistently finds silver at that depth...specially for under $700. I also have an AT Pro (that I'm still learnin), but haven't found much worth anything at over 10" yet (even in the best ground conditions). Lotta guys on here that have a ton more experience with multiple brands of detector than me...I'm sure they'll help steer you in the right direction. Keep us posted on your decision...happy hunting :icon_thumright:

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are looking that you are going to find silver coins that deep?
I have been detecting for fifty years and all the coins that I have ever seen come out of the ground over 8", by me and all the people that I have detected with, wouldn't start to pay for a $700 dollar detector.
Through the years I have had several detectors that would find a quarter up to about 14" in non-discrimination but just about any detector in discrimination mode that will find a coin over 8" is a rare animal and so is the coin that you are going to find at a depth greater than 8".
Just my opinion but give it some thought.
Good luck & HH

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots of coins here dug over 8" deep, coins dropped 100+ years ago. Ballfields, parks, riverbanks, you name it.
So you spend $700 on a detector. So you spend $2k+ to dig a couple silver dimes or quarters, so what. Do we dwell on how it's going to pay for itself? Do we dwell on the thousands we've spent on our golf game over the years, or skydiving lol, (they don't pay). It's a hobby, for most it's relaxing and fun.

jeweler21

Mar 8, 2013
San Angelo, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Garrett AT pro, Teknetics T2, Garrett GTAX 500, A.H. Electronics Super Pro 5, Fisher VLF 555 D/B, Garrett AT Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of coins here dug over 8" deep, coins dropped 100+ years ago. Ballfields, parks, riverbanks, you name it.
So you spend $700 on a detector. So you spend $2k+ to dig a couple silver dimes or quarters, so what. Do we dwell on how it's going to pay for itself? Do we dwell on the thousands we've spent on our golf game over the years, or skydiving lol, (they don't pay). It's a hobby, for most it's relaxing and fun.

At my age, it's not relaxing and fun to dig 10" or more for trash. Relaxing and fun is to dig a lot of nice and interesting items at 8" or less and to have a pretty good idea what I am going to dig up before I dig the hole. The AT Pro serves that ambition well.
Good Luck & HH

Last edited:

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the sovereign GT has been discontinued but thats the baby for finding deep silver coins i found an IH cent a 14 half inches deep mybe you can find one used..

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I would vote for the e-trac. I unt with a friend that has the CTX, he does ok, but I do find more silver than him. You may pick up a used one close to that price range.

Beavertail

Nov 24, 2013
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, minelab equinox 800, e-trac,xterra 305, xterra 705, coiltek wot 7.5-18.75 kHz.
The explorer 2 will tear some silver up after you spend time to learn it

JPrice

Jan 28, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 705 with the stock concentric and a 10.5 DD that I'll sell you for $650. My first silver with it was a merc on edge at about 9.5".

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 505 x-terra is a good machine, just as deep as a 705 but I dot have the 3khz coil yet- should be killer on silver! I have found silver 10 down this spring with sensitivity up in wet ground with stock coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread