• 1611800.jpg
    1611800.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 388

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett two box is the less expensive way. The ground radar is the other and it will also locate voids in the earth like caves or mines. If you find it, don't post any pictures or say to much. We'd like to know, but it's not good for you.

Good Luck,
Sandman

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
It is an interesting question. Groups of individual coins do not detect as well as solid objects. There was some coin cache tests done on Gary's metal detecting(UK) and at Carl's Geotech forum. They used high conductor coins (silver)with just coins- no metal containers. Carl buried 220 silver quarters at 24". Nothing he tested was able to detect them.His machines are below. Everything from 2 box to PI to regular VLF.

White's 6000/di Pro with 15" coil
White's 6000/di Pro with 24" Magnum "cache" coil
Fisher Gemini 3
Discovery TF900
Minelab 2200/d with 18" mono coil
Garrett GTI2500 with Bloodhound attachment
Teknetics T2

http://www.thunting.com/geotech/forums/showthread.php?t=11831

This is a similar test done by Gary- again nothing was able to detect them.
http://www.garysdetecting.co.uk/hoard_test.htm

The inventor of the Nexus had a similar test 1 kilogram of copper, bronze and silver coins. He was able to detect them at 24" with the Nexus and a 20" dual coil.
http://www.nexusdetectors.com/Testspage.html

The above information destroys our past ideas on how effective our detecting tools are in detecting coin only caches. Hoards in the UK are usually found when plowing bring up individual coins to the surface.

It should be remembered that these are high conductor coins- silver mainly not low conductor coins such as small gold. I can detect a dozen nickels(low conductor) at 21" with my GS5 with a stock 11". PIs do a lot better in depth with gold.

There may not be a metal detector that can do it as all except one failed it at 2' and we are not even discussing 3' or below. If I had this project I will test anything before I purchase as you are talking high end here(very expensive). Even a high end Nexus or a high end PI will be inexpensive compared to GPR. For example I would use 100 nickels(if small gold coins) in a plastic container and air test it with the Nexus(20" coil) at 3 ft(one dealer in US). I would also test a a GP3500 with an extremely large coil with the same container. By the way if you consider a GPR- Make sure it really is a GPR.

George

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread