Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I found this site yesterday, I've already been on it for about 8 hours. I think I'm hooked. I've always wanted a detector, but never got one. Here's the question...and I know I'll get a lot of replies. What detector should I start with? Price isn't a big concern, but I thought $300-500 would be a good start for a decent unit. I tried looking up info, but there was so much to sort through, I figured this may be quicker. Thanks for any help. Brian

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Find a local dealer and try out a few differnt ones and see what you like the best. Your opinion is going to be the most important one. HH and welcome to Tnet.

Charlie

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
TooManyHobbies,

Take your time. research only the major brands. Joe

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JOE(USA) said:
TooManyHobbies,

Take your time. research only the major brands. Joe

I'm thinking birthday present, late Feb. :D I've got two months to decide. Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lucked out, you live in Ct. and we have TonyinCT on the TN here. I would talk to Tony, he runs TC Detectors in CT, he is a man you can trust and will answer all your questions. I don't know where you live, but you may even be close enough to go into Tony's shop......Heck Ct isn't that big to begin with....... ;)

I got my Sovereign GT from Tony, he answered all my quetions and put up with me changing my mind about 4 times on what I was going to buy before I setteled on the Sovereign, which incidently is a fantastic detector.

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007
I,m hooked on whites products.I started out on the prizm 2 then moved up to a prizm 5 and now I have an XL pro.I plan on adding a DFX to my arsenol next year.I,ve found some good deals on ebay for slightly used models.People will buy a MD for a spouse as a gift only to find out they dont like the hobby.If I were to advise someone of what a good all around detector would be,I would suggest a whites pro series analog type.Either a 6000 di pro sl or the Xl pro.I,ll admit they are a bit harder to learn than the new turn on and go units,but they are workhorses and can still hold there own even against the new models.Plus when you want to sell it,its easy to sell and holds its value.One more thing I like about the analog detector,is the needle seems to LOCK ON to the target where the digital display samples the target.I can tell you even from the prizm 5 you have to go back and forth over a target several times to let the machine sample the item.The analog locks on right away,I,ll never be without one.I hope this helps you. :)Happy holidays

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently went through the same issue of what to buy. I decided I really wanted a DFX with headphones and definitely, a bullseye pinpointer (too many coins are the color of the dirt and very time consuming to find). However, money dictated and I chose the Whites M-6 because of the company and the simplicity of use. However, like the better units, it has many of the features to help determine what is valuable vs junk. I find the combination of using multiple tones (I love to hear the high tones for silver coins), the VDI number, and block indicator really help determine what to dig.

It takes some time to learn to discriminate out junk. Most of us are always looking for the next trick to turn a hit into a gold ring, etc.

My buddy started with a Bounty Hunter from WalMart two months ago and promptly took it back. OK machine but just not set up well for the user. Then he got a Whites Prizm III (price was definitely his driving motivator). Two days later he upgraded to a Prizm V, but wished he had spent the money for the M-6.

If you want to spend a little extra, get good headphones and Double D 4x6 coil for junk filled areas or places where target overlap--parks, ball fields, etc.

Basic Detecting Data (BDD): Whites M-6, Bullseye pin pointer; Dayton Ohio area; Clay soil, winter and summer coin hunting; hunt city parks, playgrounds, and ball fields; detect 2-3 days per week.

Merry Xmas
May your pan always show gold and may your batteries last forever...
Terry

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
TMH,
There is a section on this forum called "Metal Detector Reviews - By Owners!" People post reviews of different brands of detectors and you can read the good, the bad and the ugly about most detectors. That should give you some insight into what would suit your needs or tickle your fancy.

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
I like Whites products and the Prism V is in that price range. But really, it's all about what you want to hunt and how much flexibility you want in a detector.

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far the Prism V (only because I'm a newbie and not sure if I want to spend the money for a DFX, until I'm crazy like the rest of you :D) is on the top of my list...but I still have time to research the rest. Thanks all.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WHITE'S MXT..... ::)

detector dave

Dec 23, 2007
between Cadillac and Big Rapids
Detector(s) used
whites 6000 & spectrum
I have used the White's 6000 DI PRO SL for 12 years and just started having problems with it. I was thinking about tradeing it in, the dealer offered $100 for it. I talked to some guys on this sight and they said it was worth fixing so i am going to send it in to be fixed. But if you have not tried detecting be for din't spend to much, you will dig a lot of junk until you get to know your detector. I started out with a all metal detector and loved digging up things so i used that from the longest time before i had the money for the Whites 6000. But check with a dealer first DO NOT waist the money buying one from a department store. Good luck and hope you love the hobby.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As mentioned in one of the posts previous to this - the Prizm line doesn't have much at all in the way of coil options. To me this is a very serious handicap for any one that is or becomes a serious th'er. I have an MXT and there is a good selection of coils available that also fit on the DFX and the M6. I've thought about picking up a Prizm for the wife or as an extra, but have decided if i do, I'll go with either the Tesoro DeLeon or Cortez just because they both have an excellent assortment of coil sizes and types. Just my two bits.
HH
Bill

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could someone explain the coil issue? Is smaller better? Or different sizes for different conditions?

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coils are kinda like having the right fishing reel for the type fish you are trying to catch..Usually, the smaller coils are used in hunting places that are filled with a lot of trash. With it, you can usually find the good stuff, between the bad stuff. Might lose a little depth but still good to have. The larger ones usually go deeper and cover a lot of ground quicker...You know toys...the more you have the better..lol HH and GL

OP
OP
TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SC_Hunter. I just read the same thing on another thread.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
You should be able to find a used CZ series Fisher for that price. Well worth it.

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might want to consider if you want to beach hunt, or relic. I hear the minelab Sovereign GT is a killer on the beach with a WOTS 15" Coil.Also good all around. I will try one. As well as the Fisher F-75. The F-75 I have heard is an all around good detector,and gets decent depth.
Just what I heard.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Sandsifter brought up a good point. Do you want to hunt water or land. The answer may affect which detector you can get. Most of them are made with a primary purpose (land or water). I would also look at Tesoro. Their customer service is top notch. I have only owned Tesoro detectors and cannot vouch for any other make or model. Hope it helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread