Best detector for "trashy searching"?

wayne_etc

Jul 28, 2005
Huntsville, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Best detector for "trashy searching"?

A little survey, if you don't mind...

What detector, in its stock configuration (stock coil) would you say is the best for searching trashy areas? Again, with the STOCK coil rather than a small sniper coil?

I'm asking this because trashy settings seem to be the most common places we look. Sure, some of us are field searchers that can run a machine wide-open and dig everything, but I don't think that represents most of us.

Swing on!

w

Upvote 0

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best detector for "trashy searching"?

That is a good and interesting question. I am new to this hobby and still learning on a daily basis. I use an Ace 250, but have added the 14" x 10" excelerator coil. I think no matter what machine you have you would still run it wide open, not to miss anything.

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero

On the lower end of the price range I would say the compadre because it comes stock with the 5.75" coil. On the upper end I would say some of the minelabs. I have never used a ML but from reading posts here made by others they seem to pick thru trash very well. I do however own a compadre and it is very good in trash. I was able to disc out a small square nail then lay it on top of a merc and detect the merc from all angles.

Randy

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

RPG said:
On the lower end of the price range I would say the compadre because it comes stock with the 5.75" coil. On the upper end I would say some of the minelabs. I have never used a ML but from reading posts here made by others they seem to pick thru trash very well. I do however own a compadre and it is very good in trash. I was able to disc out a small square nail then lay it on top of a merc and detect the merc from all angles.

Randy
Agreed. I sell Tesoro and for the money the Compadre(small coil) is the less expensive of the routes. These are the machines the kids use here. A MINELAB etrac has good features for what your looking for. I can adjust different settings for different situations but It cost's a bit more! But, You've got to weed through the bad to get to the good...You'll need to upgrade to a better machine if want better results.

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2

If you´re going into a trashy area you´ll want a detector with a fast recovery rate. Here is where XP or Tesoro, or the T2 of F75 will excell.
If you want to check a recovery rate it´s simple, just put a nail on the ground, and a coin a certain distance from it, then do your normal swing speed across both, gradually moving in till you don´t hear the coin any more, and that´s where the end of your recovery is. That´s where your detectors is NULLING OUT from the iron, so it´s either swing slower, or get a faster recovering detector.
Go onto You tube and look up Norfolk Wolf and recovery speed, there you´ll see some amazing differences !!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

14" x 10" excelerator coil :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2

I would go for a smaller eliptical coil if it´s really full of nails, something around 10 x 5 inch max.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Every detector I've used is great at finding trash LOL. Sorry, I couldn't resist. I go with those that favor the Compadre, otherwise, if you often hunt in heavy trash you really need to have a smaller coil in your line regardless of the detector brand in my opinnion.
HH
Bill

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II

IF YOU MASTER THE NO TRASH DETECTER YOU THEN BECOME A JEDI.. WHITE PRISM II IS THE ONLY DETECTOR I USE AND IS GOOD IN TRASHY AREA THATS ALL I HUNT IT SEEMS . HOW EVER WHITES DOES NOT MAKE IT ANY MORE... :coffee2: ;D

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those Norfork Wolf videos are pretty misleading. He uses factory cion modes, a little tweeking changes everything exspecaily with explorer and dfx.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am just now learning how to communicate with my Minelab Safari and I am finding it really is good at seperating good from bad targets. It will find a dime under a rusted steel object and has done so more than a few times. It was so good at it that I didn't trust it at first. But now it sings my song! Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread