Best detectors for @ $300.00

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I did a lot of research prior to getting my first detector last summer. I finally went with the Fisher F2. I got the package deal with pin pointer and other items for about $215-225. With in a month, I purchased a second F2 for my 8 year old son. Easy to use and from what I can tell great depth. The display is a great tool but I am learning to use the sounds to decipher what might be in the ground. But if you are looking for salt water this is not the machine, that is a whole other category.

There are many great detectors in your price range, but I can only comment on the F2, a great machine for the price. And a great hobby for quality family time!!

Good luck.

nate7394

Aug 16, 2012
Middlesex County, MA
Detector(s) used
Deus, Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From personal experience, I would recommend the Teknetics Eurotek Pro. It has great iron discrimination capabilities, a huge LCD numeric VDI screen, three different audio tones, and lightning fast recovery speed (time it takes the machine to recover from signal to signal). This detector is VERY easy to get the hang of and I'm sure you and your kids would love using it. It is right at your price point of $300 too. Here are some videos and reviews that are about this machine...

Youtube:

Reviews: Teknetics EuroTek Pro Metal Detector Reviews ****This site has loads of honest reviews on basically every detector****

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a first texas instrument to me
and don't care for them
don't care how much free stuff they give you
it does not sound a peeling to me
just think if garret sounded like that
you would have 6 metal detector companies that sound a like....

that is pathetic..

Last edited:

fmfdoc

Mar 14, 2014
Mc David, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Was in the same boat as you, a few weeks ago: After much research, and a ton of advice form others, It was a toss-up between the Fisher F-2, and the Garrett Ace250. I ended up pulling the trigger on the ACE, and according to the tracking log, it's sitting at home, waiting for me to get off work! I'm pretty excited, and losing focus, on the job. Fortunate for me, I do NOT work with heavy equipment!! LOL

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant go wrong with a Fisher F2 or an Ace 250 for a first machine...research the two and pick one...you will be happy with either one.

fmfdoc

Mar 14, 2014
Mc David, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is gonna be a blast! Right out of the box, and with 10 minutes of swinging at the edge of my driveway, I came up with 36 cents!! All new stuff, mind you, but, the tones were strong and sweet!!
Can hardly wait for the weekend, and time at the farm!!

exahab

Jun 10, 2013
Luldow, MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro Dp
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Another vote for the eurotek pro

exahab

Jun 10, 2013
Luldow, MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro Dp
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your right fmfdoc
had a 250 last year great machines
and a super fun hobby
welcome to the brotherhood

Husker64

Greenie
Mar 14, 2014
Southeast NE.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was torn between the ace 250 and fisher f2 as well, but after reading some of the opinions here I will be ordering an f2 tommorow! My first md in almost 30 yrs. I can't wait to see what I can find, even junk targets will help me to learn the machine better!

high&dry

Mar 8, 2014
SWFL
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom,
My wife and I just got into MDing as well, and researched machines for quite a while. After reading all of the reviews on the Fisher F2 I decided that it would be the perfect machine for the wife, and I ended up getting the Minelab X-terra 705. The Fisher reviews consistently stated that it was on par with machines double its cost or more. We bought the package on ebay from Kellyco for $215 that came with two coils, pinpointer, bag, headphones, digger, etc... The pinpointer is nothing to write home about...it has to be touching the object to sound off, but the headphones seem decent enough and my wife found an old handmade silver ring in our yard in her first 30 minutes!!
The F2 is pretty much a turn on and go machine and that is awesome for a first timer. I can't say enough about Kellyco, the bag had a small tear on one of the seams and I called them about it, they shipped a new bag out the same day! For $215 shipped you really can't find a better deal out there on a solid machine.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which ever detector you choose, don't make the mistake of buying a detector without VDI, (numbered target identification)! They are not hard to learn.
Peace

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll add one other to your list... The Ace 350. With the DD coil and headphones it's an upgrade over the Ace 250. The Eurotek Pro with the DD is right at your price point with the DD... Great choice as well. :thumbsup:

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just about every manufacturer makes a good detector in that price range. Most opinions will be based on personnel use. I use whites products but not going to tell you to go out and get a coin master. Instead try and find the closest dealer/s near you and check them out for yourself. Have them demonstrate all models in that price range and see what's comfortable for you. Whatever machine you decide to purchase just remember one thing, learn how to use it and you will soon realize what a great machine you purchased. Oh yea and one more thing, make sure it's a company that stands behind its products. GL HH.

OP
OP
T

Tom K

Mar 16, 2014
Daphne, AL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input. I was looking at the 250 or 350 at first, looks like I have some more options. I need to find a local dealer that would be a great help.

My 6 year old asks every day when it will be here.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cast my vote for a Tesoro Silver uMax for about $225. That will leave you $ to buy a pin pointer too.
The Silver Umax is a fantastic machine without all the fancy bells and whistles. Trust me, you don't need a machine with a screen to be successful. I used my Silver uMax for about 7 years and loved it. It found everything imaginable. Very easy to use (two knobs) for you and your son, very lightweight, LIFETIME warranty, and US made. Check out the reviews on the Tesoro Silver uMax. :thumbsup:
Good luck,
MM

fmfdoc

Mar 14, 2014
Mc David, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know you'll be happy with your F2! Ya really have to sort out the emotion from the reality, when doing any comparrisons. People tend to be very polarized, no matter what the issue! LOL
As a "noob" I was looking for simple, and basic. I feel that I got it, with the ACE. I only counted opinions which listed BOTH, plus and minus, information. Anyhting which sceams of bias, like politics, needs to be dumped.
When and if I decide to keep this hobby going, and want to upgrade, I'll start looking at higher-end units and scrimping my money to be able to afford one. Then again, MAYBE I'll win the lottery and not have to worry about budgets or family needs (before play time)....... a guy can dream!! LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread