Best excuse I have ever gotten for not paying in a reasonable amount of time.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides ebay I also sell on another site. It is more of a barter for points place where you can ship for free or charge shipping. I do not do a lot there, just a bit of junk not worth selling on the bay.

You really need to keep track of what you sell and when because you need to constantly remind some people that they have to do the next step.

This is what a bidder must do if they have to pay shipping.
1) They bid
2) They win
3) They pay points into an escrow account
4) They supply verified address
5) They supply email address to get shipping bill
6) They pay shipping
7) They get item
8) They leave feedback
(then I get the points in my account. That is why I have only done 13 auctions in the last several months)

Now you know how it works. I had one bidder/winner that owes a few dollars postage. After about 4 days I sent her a second reminder. This was her answer.

I am sorry my grandfather was missing since the first and I was noticed of him being dead in a motel room and I am having to deal with all this i will pay tonight. I have a police report please forgive me I'm sorry.

That is a good excuse, even if it is a lie it is such a good one I told her to take her time.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope the item she bought wasn't a gift for him.

Yes, I have been told that I have no soul.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is one thing I hate doing more than anything, it's having to shake people down for money they owe. Ugh. :BangHead:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Ohhhhh-kay........ (not really funny, but funny).

15+ yrs of hunting ppl has taught me, MOST ppl will not lie about death.
Death is confirmable and it's kinda taboo, in a bad juju, kinda way..... ppl usually fear, that what they project or say about another in reference to death, can fall back on them.

Check the local obit's in her area. I would think as a survivor, she would be listed in the obit.
Not saying ppl won't lie about death, just that most, don't.

dsrtdwg1

Sep 3, 2015
Brawley
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Gold Monster 1000, Keene 212v Puffer Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, Ohhhhh-kay........ (not really funny, but funny).

15+ yrs of hunting ppl has taught me, MOST ppl will not lie about death.
Death is confirmable and it's kinda taboo, in a bad juju, kinda way..... ppl usually fear, that what they project or say about another in reference to death, can fall back on them.

Check the local obit's in her area. I would think as a survivor, she would be listed in the obit.
Not saying ppl won't lie about death, just that most, don't.

Agreed, I will go out on a limb here and say in the 20yrs. we have been selling we have had as many buyers actually die during the transaction as we have had it used as an excuse.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is one thing I hate doing more than anything, it's having to shake people down for money they owe. Ugh. :BangHead:

I used to be in the printing business and I had a customer that bought and sold printing. He also was a money collector for businesses that had bad accounts. He went by the name of "leg breaker"

Before that career I was a sheriff and I learned very quickly most people will lie to you. ;)

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost kinda done with ebay, sold a car three times to non paying bidders, no answer from two of them and the third used Girlfriend got cancer as an excuse, I didn't want to lean on him as she probably did, all I wanted was some communication but after a week hearing nothing I started the non paying process, you would of thought I kicked his dog or something!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to be in the printing business and I had a customer that bought and sold printing. He also was a money collector for businesses that had bad accounts. He went by the name of "leg breaker"

Before that career I was a sheriff and I learned very quickly most people will lie to you. ;)
Lol, I worked for a "paper buyer", too, and a few atty's..... (loved to seek assets for writs of execution on judgements).
I kinda laugh, I guess person(s), situation(s), and circumstance(s), will play a role whether someone is more apt to lie, than not. :laughing7: :icon_scratch:

Cyberdan, I feel for all LEO's, including my own family members that are LEO :notworthy:..... it's not like you all deal with the most "upper echelon" of society, unless they need something from you, (sorry to say)...... :-\
When one feels their "freedom" threatened, yeah, they'll say (and do) just about anything...... ???

I'll say: There is the worst in the best of us and the best in the worst of us.
One can generalize, marginalize, and hypothesize all day, I guess it will come down to the individual situation and circumstance that you are dealing with, and not all the summations...... :dontknow:

So..... is he in the obits? :laughing7:

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So..... is he in the obits? :laughing7:

I only know the buyers last name. Did a 10 minute search. There are a lot of funeral homes in her area and a lot of missing people since the first of the year.

I will just have to wait and see if I get paid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread