Best Find Ever! Bestest bestest bestest! Better than gold coins!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's my personal IMG_1110.JPG IMG_1112.JPG best. Was up at Oxford County Maine n the pegmatite region and was surface hunting. I spotted this "thing" thought at first it was a melted blob of plastic. THEN I picked it up. It is a GEM QUALITY MORGANITE (PINK) BERYL CRYSTAL. It's official name is "Tracy's Maine Rose". Named after my daughter. This was from the old Bennett Mine. There was a large one found years ago but the guys who found it, that was the Rose of Maine, well, they wanted to SHARE it and broke it up. As far as I know this is the largest and FINEST Morganite beryl to come out of the East Coast of the US EVER.

And I am certainly not going to break it up into little pieces. There are clear windows in it the size of egg yolks and some place produce natural rainbows. Weighs a few pounds. Battery is for comparison.

Upvote 19

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! I live 10 miles from St-Hilaire. My son went there with school long ago and apparently found a small piece of rare rock. Don't know what it is but could post a picture if you want. After some research, I think it is sodalite. We have a mine not far from our cabin in the country, in the Eastern Townships and last summer, my wife found some small tubular formations and called a archeology Dept at McGill University. They came and have no idea what they are and will send a team of geologist this summer. Can provide photos if you want. Well, I think you'll see me more often in the rocks/gems section, getting really curious now.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is probably the biggest and best morganite beryl to come out of the Eastern US in modern history. The Rose of Maine was bigger, but the guys that found it wanted their share immediately, or so the story goes, so they SHASHED IT TO PIECES. Museums in New England may have something larger, but I haven't seen or heard of one. Maybe the Smithsonian.....

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill_wabo, post a picture of it if you would.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here she is with a little backlighting. (small flashlight) IMG_0594.JPG

And YES, it is that transparent. Still has a little dirt in the crevices which you can see here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions