Best find of 08

Adamoffresno

Mar 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land star
Best find of '08

I found this "Melody" guitar about a month back out in a field Near my home. Where i live there are acre's and acre's of land that use to be farm land that was torn up for the Big houseing boom but when the Houseing market crashed the land's were left to be over taken by weed's and grass. I was out in one field not having much luck other then nail's and junk when i seen a big pile of wood and brick's so i made my way over to pound the ground there, Since the houseing crash alot of this land was used by people who dumped there crap in them so that's where the pile of wood and brick most likey came from. after half and hour i started to make it back to my truck when i seen the top part of the Guitar sticking out of the tall grass near the pile of wood.

At first i kept thinking it was a child's broken toy guitar but when i pulled it up out the grass i seen it wasn't and it was in good shape. so i took it to my truck, made my way home and cleaned her up abit seeing how it was coverd in dust and dirt. It's body is in good shape but her gut's her ruined but with some work and some cash i think she can play again.

Sorry about the photo's i'm still learning how to use a new digital camera. Doe's anyone know of "MELODY" guitar? can't seem to find much on them.

Well i wanted to share this story and photo's with you all, Have a nice night everyone. Happy hunting!!

Attachments

• photo001.jpg
    photo001.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 691
  • hi001.jpg
    hi001.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 698
  • wasup001.jpg
    wasup001.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 680
  • body001.jpg
    body001.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 679
Upvote 0

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Best find of '08

Melody was issued by Gibson in the 1950's. It could be valuble if it is an original issue.

It has just been reissued in the last couple years and retails for about $350.00 new.

If it is an original and it probaly is, do some research for the date and value.

Great Find :thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

I believe if you could take off the neck of it an look at the numbers on the insidewhere the neck slides into the stock it should give you the date it was built.. I saw a antiques road show once an I believe that is how they was able to confirm the day of his Gibson ...... Btw that is a way way awesome find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

You've got yourself a Hound Dog Taylor special!

Japanese guitars made by Fuji Industries and others were sold here in the 60's as Teisco Del Rey, Kent, Kawai (Taylor had a Kawai SS-4E, I think), and other brands. They've often got the big shiny metal "pickguard", a cheesy vibrato (whammy bar), and 3 or 4 pickups with lots of switches. Rocker switches on the upper side from the pickups are typical of these.

Gibson did have a low-end line of guitars called, I think, Melody Makers; but these offshore electrics aren't connected with Gibson.

Technically, they aren't worth much in dollar value, but their collectibility lies in their heavy Mojo and 'Taylorosity'.
It looked like yours might be shy one or more of the pickups.

I would keep it as a project guitar or Wall Hanger. Personally, I think it's a hell of a good find!

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Do you have better pics?

After a little checking in the price guide for gibson, there was a melody maker III issued between 67-69 and again between 70-71. It was to me (cheesy) looking for a gibson and it came with either those 3 rocker switches or Slider switches depending on the year along with the three pickups.

There current values low to high, 1000.00 to 1400.00

I would have it checked and even if it was a knockoff, for some reason those Guitars during that time period are seeing great prices.

Good luck with the Identification. Sounds like a fun project. Love those Guitars :headbang:

OP
OP
Adamoffresno

Adamoffresno

Mar 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter land star

Here are some more photo's of it in the light, better photo's also.

I looked around and only found one other mark on it,"japan" is stamped on the back neck plate.

Thank's for your replys and your help.

Happy Hunting!!

Attachments

• the lady005.jpg
    the lady005.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 319
  • the lady004.jpg
    the lady004.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 331
  • the lady003.jpg
    the lady003.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 331
  • the lady002.jpg
    the lady002.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 336
  • the lady001.jpg
    the lady001.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 330
  • the lady006.jpg
    the lady006.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 301

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey its still a sweet body, replace the guts and make a killer axe out of it.

Rock On :headbang:

Still its a great find :thumbsup:

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT

Beeping around on a piece of ground in your home town.
Love Floyd. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread