Best finds for the week

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Well, I'm still a newbie to the metal detecting thing but despite finding mostly junk for the past several weeks, I've had a few decent finds recently.
I live in the midwest where we don't have a lot of history if you base things on just what you read in the magazines. Truth is, my hometown has been around since about the end of the civil war. Recently I found the names of C.W. Vets who lived here as late as 1893, and I'm hoping to find the properties they lived on. With more luck, they are owned by people who are willing to let me hunt there.
In any event, in the last two days, with my repaired Whites Eagle Spectrum,
I've gone out and done the curb side hunting. Reason for doing my hunting in these areas? From a few of the detectorists I've met, not one of them has ever hunted these areas!
Most of what I've found in the last few weeks have been clad coins.
But a couple days ago, I came across a tag for a post office key. After doing some research, based on the address, I figured this tag was at least 40 years old since that's when the post office got moved to it's present location.
A couple feet away, I found what I'm thinking is something to do with the Boy Scouts. Appears to be brass with an orange triangle inlay and what looks to be like a lion and a lion cub. I'm not up to speed with the Boy Scouts though so if anyone knows what it is, I'd be grateful. The back of it has two metal bands folded inward, one on top of the other.
Outside one of the older homes I hunted in front of, that's currently undergoing renovations, I found this sterling silver ring that was broken in back and bent inwards, and a second sterling silver ring a few feet from there, plain and somewhat pitted.
As for coins, aside from enough clad to go to Burger King for a value meal, I found this Rosy from 1951 (No mintmark) and this
35 Indian Nickel. I don't know much about these particular coins to know where to find the mintmark. If it's located under the Five cents on the obverse, all I see there is a blob that could be a D. If that's not where it's located, it's unmarked mintage.
Despite the quality of the pic, you can still make out some of the feather streaks, bits of the hair, the whole face appears sharp. On the obverse, the lettering and some of the streaks of the buffalo hump are all that are really clear though the outline of the buffalo is really sharp.
Over all, these finds are about a weeks worth of digging junk and clad coins. One of the things they say to us beginners is, be prepared to find trash and don't get discouraged. Even though I admit, I get a bit tired of spending two hours digging nothing but crushed bottle caps and pull tabs, I can still honestly say I love this hobby. And I know, someday, I'll find that "best find".

Attachments

• dime.jpg
    dime.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 401
  • dime.jpg
    dime.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 396
  • cubscoutthingy.jpg
    cubscoutthingy.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 399
  • dime.jpg
    dime.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 400
  • indian.jpg
    indian.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 387
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 401
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Gracias. Now that it's hopefully cooling down outside, I might go get in a bit more detecting time with the light that's left. Maybe I'll have something post worthy when I get back.

OP
OP
C

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
Okay well...I had a bit of time before dinner so I went outside my front door
and within about 20 minutes I pulled up my next silver dime. The ones in the pics are 51's and a lot of the details are faded. The one I just pulled up though is a 1959 D that actually appears to be in better quality than the 2000 D dime I got back in change at the store earlier. If I can get a hold of a friend of mine, I'll put up a pic of it soon as I get one that isn't as blurry.

OP
OP
C

CowboyKolo

Nov 11, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
White Eagle Spectrum
I should add that I also pulled up a lot of those little metal discs you find at construction sites and a few of those demonic pull tabs before I got this last dime. Apparently I found the scrap pile from when this building was constructed, but it's worth it already!

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Newbie....you are doing GREAT! Keep it up and happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread