relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first post in some time--too busy with work and detecting. However, exploring the woods paid off with the discovery of a virgin colonial site.
No cellar hole found:icon_scratch: but good finds over the past week or so. 5 coins were found. early 1800's classic head LC, 1798 draped bust LC, 179_ capped bust LC, also a KG I (date?) and a KGII (1730?) A wealth of buttons that suggest a very early site judging by the shank style and backmarkings (several from London) The big brass buckle is a beaut! The tiny one might be a childs shoe buckle. One of the buckles looks like its for hosery. The decorative one may not be a buckle at all-my wife thinks it's a womans hairclip, like for a bun .
One piece looks like a pin or pendant, the thimble is in awesome shape. The padlock appears to be from the same period- in fact nothing
later than early 1800's was found at all ( except for a few shotgun shells) Working this site has been a blast and I'm hoping to find a piece of
colonial silver! Happy Hunting!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    193.5 KB · Views: 156
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 154
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 145
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 25
Great discovery on that colonial site, congratulations!!!! I love finding a virgin colonial spot... it's a great feeling!!! Also, the thimble is VERY early. They call them "open ended" thimbles or "tailor's thimbles" and they are typically date from the 1600s-early 1700s and aren't easy to find in the USA! Keep us updated I want to see a nice piece of silver come out as well! With all the large brass targets, I think you're right about it being virgin! The buckles are awesome too!!!!

Wow, those are some awesome historical finds! Congratulations!

Great finds! Early and diverse. Who could ask for more?!

Congrats

Steve

Very nice finds. That is an exceptional Dandy Button.

Great site and finds--pound that place:occasion14:

incredible spot that you found there.. hope it keeps producing!
Great finds so far...I like the big lock!

Great assortment of early finds, congrats on the thimble and buckles, and the early coppers. With this many targets why not a silver in the near future, good luck on the return.

Awesome colonial finds there. I love the buckle in the last pic. Very ornate. Keep hunting that site.

Wow! Just amazing finds! :notworthy:

The padlock and the shoe buckles are beautiful, not too mention all those early coppers!

Hope you find some early Spanish or American silver on your return! :thumbsup:

Dave

COLONIAL FINDS ARE THE BEST TO ME AND MEISTER YOU HAVE SOME NICE ONES. WISH I COULD FIND A SITE LIKE THAT . YOU ALL UP FURTHER NORTH , NORTH WEST ARE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE ACCESS TO PLACES LIKE THIS TO HUNT AND DIG. NICE FINDS.

You are definitely on a nice late 18th / early 19th century site. You have a very good chance of finding Spanish silver out of that spot like that. Love the coppers and shoe buckles. But, I must say that they used open end thimbles well into the 19th century.

Last edited:
That is a dream site! Perfect time frame and what a great diverse bunch of finds. Love the buckles and the thimble. The coins don't suck either lol

Wowzers. Looks like every hole was a surprise. What an awesome site. Great hunt!

Killer hunt! Look at all those old coppers! Way to go!

Hi - Nice assortment of finds there! It's hard to tell but most of the buttons appear to have a soldered loop shank as opposed to straight cast and so look to be from late 1700 to mid 1800s. The decorative frame appears to be part of a knee buckle (it would be too heavy to be worn in the hair). One item I'm curious about and hope someone can id is the piece at the top of the picture with the two loops on either side of the disc as I found an identical one this summer here. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back