jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up an antique mirror and "suspected but not confirmed" sterling sugar tongs.

The mirror came from a moving sale run by some quite elderly folks. Don't know anything about it but would love to know more. It is very heavy and has a very solid construction. Looking for approximate age, origin, and value?

The sugar tongs arent in the best shape and were tarnished to death when I found them. I polished it up with no problem and it shines now just with some scratches. No monogram or design to speak of but it is hallmarked. I cannot find any info about the hallmarks so I can't even confirm that it's sterling. Anyone have any idea of maker and sterling or not?

Attachments

• IMG_0574mirror1.jpg
    IMG_0574mirror1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 846
  • IMG_0575mirror2.jpg
    IMG_0575mirror2.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 851
  • IMG_0576mirror3.jpg
    IMG_0576mirror3.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_0577mirror4.jpg
    IMG_0577mirror4.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_0572hall1.jpg
    IMG_0572hall1.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_0578tongs.jpg
    IMG_0578tongs.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 852

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
Hey Jersey,

I love the mirror...looks like nice heavy construction but I have no idea as to age, value, etc. I just think it's cool.

For the silver hallmarks, here is one of my favorite sites. You may have to dig around a bit but you may find your markings on the site.

http://www.925-1000.com/

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Goldmanford said:
Hey Jersey,

I love the mirror...looks like nice heavy construction but I have no idea as to age, value, etc. I just think it's cool.

For the silver hallmarks, here is one of my favorite sites. You may have to dig around a bit but you may find your markings on the site.

http://www.925-1000.com/
I am pretty certain the peice was made in Birmingham cause of the anchor that is Birmingham hallmark

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wasn't the "anchor" a Birmingham assay office mark? You must have better eyes than I do because I don't see an anchor.

S

stefen

The oak framed mirror with ogee joints most likely came off of a dresser and is possibly mid-20th century.

Dating is based on the construction methods of the routed inside detail and the joints.

Later 19th and early 20 century didn't have circular motor driven routers, instead craftsmen used a hand router (push plane) which could not make the rounded corners as shown.

Early craftsmen would have used a 45 degree keyed butt joint...the ogee joint used is the same joint used to construct panel doors...

In my opinion, its old but not an antique (minimum of 100 years old)

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
stefen said:
The oak framed mirror with ogee joints most likely came off of a dresser and is possibly mid-20th century.

Dating is based on the construction methods of the routed inside detail and the joints.

Later 19th and early 20 century didn't have circular motor driven routers, instead craftsmen used a hand router (push plane) which could not make the rounded corners as shown.

Early craftsmen would have used a 45 degree keyed butt joint...the ogee joint used is the same joint used to construct panel doors...

In my opinion, its old but not an antique (minimum of 100 years old)

Thank you!

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
I agree with Creeper...the last mark visible in the phot looks like an anchor indicative of Birmingham. The very first mark appears to be a script letter (possibly an "i" or "j") which could be the date mark. The middle mark appears to be a crown and the 3rd mark beside the anchor looks like a "d" or "u".

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Well curiosity finally got the better of me and I dropped some acid on the inside of the tongs. BUBBLED GREEN! Oh well, fake...

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yikes! What kind of acid did you drop on it? I dont know what kind/strenghth acid is used in the sterling acid test kits, but hopefully that is what you used.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions