best form of silver?

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on how many you have. You can trade up for 90% or something like ASE's or other silver rounds/bars. Its all personal preference and what you like to hold and/or collect!

Silver can start to take up a lot of space if you do this for a long time so you can always trade up for small amounts of gold. Small five gram bars are a good place to start small and they look really sharp!

Me, I just keep everything for right now and have yet to trade up for anything. Personally I like having a bit of everything. After all for a lot of us this is a collection!!!

Keep it up and let us know what you decide!

Happy hunting!

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Well when it comes to silver coins I like quanity over quality. I'd do all silver quarters. I mean thats what I would do

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
You will get reamed trading 40% halves for 90% silver. Unless you can find a real idiot, you are going to lose bigtime on the swap. 40% halves are a curse for most dealers and don't even think to try to sell them to a pawn broker. Good luck, JP

Ben-Ro

May 18, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't get reamed on my 40% at my LCS. I get $3.50 a coin or $70 a roll, a smidge more if I trade for something.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on what you want and the way you expect things to go in the future.

Myself, I trade in a good chunk of 40%ers and lower-quality 90%ers for collectible coins, usually Britannias or other British silver, or foreign coins. The reason why I do this is if silver falls, you still have a coin worth value (remember that Britannias have a maximum mintage of 100K coins) back when silver was still $12 an ounce or less, Britannias were still trading at $30-40 a coin. Of course if silver shoots up to $50 an ounce, you'd be better off with coins with less of a premium.

90% US coins are a good bet, but if silver prices fall, they fall too. Some still have a higher premium than generic .999 rounds/bars but have the advantage of being very recognizable (nearly everyone knows that they are silver).

.999 rounds have the advantage of being easy to get rid of if we see a panic like we did during the Hunt Brothers time (long lines at the smelters to melt down coin silver because the demand was for pure silver) but are hard to convince people of in a SHTF scenario, its easy to see this quarter looks like a quarter, but how do I know you didn't just silver plate a chunk of copper and stamp .999 AG on it?

There is no, excuse the pun, silver bullet when it comes to trading up, everything as advantages along with disadvantages.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
GL, very few of my friends and aquaintances can tell the difference between a clad and silver quarter, I've tested them. They can, however, read .999 fine silver. But, like you say, how would they know it's not just plated copper.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I buy old European gold coins when I can like Swiss or French 20 franc coins. I've bought from APMEX before but last couple purchases were from local coin store. He has a better price plus no shipping cost. Very cool coins, plus take up little space in safe deposit box.

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell them on Craigs list for melt, then use the money to upgrade.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell them and then use the money to buy morgan's. morgan's hold their value well, I couldn't see them ever going for less than $25 a coin

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell them and then use the money to buy morgan's. morgan's hold their value well, I couldn't see them ever going for less than $25 a coin

I've been buying them @ $20-$22 for the last three months.. as much as I can afford. I could have gotten 85 @ $22 but I don't have that kind of money right now to invest... my CRH bankroll is only about $600 + $600 weekly paycheck and I don't want to lose that.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
So I was thinking of trading up my 40% halves but wasn't sure what I should trade for. Any suggestions?

When you trade any kind of CRH silver for silver at the coin shop or online, you lose twice.

You are paying for a SPREAD.

That is, you will lose part of your value (spot) when you sell, because with silver at the price it is, almost no one will pay full spot for 40%. (That's the first half of what you lose.)

Next, when you buy, you will usually pay a premium on top of spot. At my LCS, it is $2.10 per ounce.
(That's the second half.)

TO GET MAXIMUM VALUE FROM ANY CRH SILVER YOU NEED THESE THINGS:

1. The right timing.
2. The right timing.
3. The right timing.

In JMHO, the time is right when silver is more than $100 per ounce, and you trade for things you need, (bread, milk, rent, transportation) knowing that the price will eventually go to $500 and then beyond.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I worked out a deal with my brother's friend. He's crazy about silver. So I sold him my two rolls for 150. The coin shop also was going to offer me 150... 150 cents that is, for each half... I walked out of there as quick as I could lol. I think I'm going to buy 5 one oz rounds. The coin shop was also looking for 30 bucks a morgan so I'll pass on those

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I bought the rounds yesterday. Now my question is would it be possible to sell the rounds for their weight, rather than one oz? I know theoretically they are supposed to be an ounce but one of them was 1.1 oz and one was 1.15

Coin Town

Jul 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
jnb1994 said:
So I bought the rounds yesterday. Now my question is would it be possible to sell the rounds for their weight, rather than one oz? I know theoretically they are supposed to be an ounce but one of them was 1.1 oz and one was 1.15

I am guessing your scale is measuring ounces not Troy ounces. One Troy ounce (which is what your rounds should be) = 1.09714286 ounces which will run up to 1.1 ounces. Check your settings an see if you have an OZT mode instead of just OZ.
Hope this helps! Let's see some pictures by the way!!!

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin Town said:
I am guessing your scale is measuring ounces not Troy ounces. One Troy ounce (which is what your rounds should be) = 1.09714286 ounces which will run up to 1.1 ounces. Check your settings an see if you have an OZT mode instead of just OZ.
Hope this helps! Let's see some pictures by the way!!!

Nope, it was on ozt. The other three weighed in at either 1.003 or 1 even, it was just the other two that were off

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread