Best Gloves?

brchcar1445

Jul 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the dirt that goes in my bucket that eventually goes through my bazooka is put there by my hands. Sometimes I can shovel and sometimes I can scoop with my little dirt scoop. But mostly my hands because I'm reaching being rocks and pull dirt out of areas my shovel and scoop can't reach. I've tried regular work gloves but I don't like the lack of dexterity and they wear holes in the tips pretty quick. Anyone have a thin durable glove that will help me avoid getting painful rocks up under my finger nails? After a day of digging with my hands, I have sore fingers for a week. But I can't find a pair of gloves that can help me avoid that yet. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a "prospectors manicure". You just gotta keep digging. By the third or fourth day your nails will be worn off and all feelings in your fingertips will cease.

Seriously though crevice tools are your friend. Something to pull the material out onto your shovel/trowel helps a lot.

OP
OP
B

brchcar1445

Jul 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha goldog! Ya, my fingers were beat up. Problem is I don't get to go but every other weekend! Otherwise I'd probably just get calasses. Are you referring to say, a spoon or other item that could get between the rocks? Saw a guy using a spoon, forgot about it u til you mentioned that.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436770968.099969.jpg Works best to have a hooked end and a handle. These are some I made.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run into this same problem. I use these gloves from home depot. 4 bucks a pair. Good protection without loosing to much dexterity. They also dry well after being wet. Kevin in Colorado told me about these. Thanks Kevin!

I started adding some "shoe goo" to the fingertips to make them last even longer.

Attachments

• 1436815377984.jpg
    1436815377984.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 141

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I hate using gloves! Ive work all my life without using them , for me , why start now! when I wear gloves I end up droping things! Yep that mountain water is cold BUT Ill get over it!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate using gloves! Ive work all my life without using them , for me , why start now! when I wear gloves I end up droping things! Yep that mountain water is cold BUT Ill get over it!

Even with these I end up with busted knuckles, cuts, blisters and sore fingertips. I guess it depends on what your doing...I always end up using my hands with the material around here. Dredging would be so ideal...sigh...

OP
OP
B

brchcar1445

Jul 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's perfect thanks! I hate using them too. But I get sand under my fingernails then it keeps building up until it's like half way down. Then I spend the next few days digging it out. It's painful. I think I'll run down to home Depot and grab some.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The blue gloves work great.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they sell gloves just like that but they are yellow, those are the ones that I use.
They are only $1.99 a pair and right now during their liquidation sale they are $1.79.

I run through a few pairs, I always wear my right side out first so I have a ton of great lefts but only one or two good rights. LOL

Here is one of my sniping videos so that you can see the Harbor Freight gloves in use.
I wear the Extra Large ones.

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blue gloves work great.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they sell gloves just like that but they are yellow, those are the ones that I use.
They are only $1.99 a pair and right now during their liquidation sale they are $1.79.

I run through a few pairs, I always wear my right side out first so I have a ton of great lefts but only one or two good rights. LOL

Here is one of my sniping videos so that you can see the Harbor Freight gloves in use.
I wear the Extra Large ones.

YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIIzBS2C-oI

Hey Neo, this made me laugh as I use the harbour freight yellow gloves myself only I wear out the left hand fingertips, have a bunch of fresh rights! Are you left or right handed? I'm right handed so I always have a tool in the right hand and am cleaning out cracks with the left hand..

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL, Nice. :D

I am also right handed but I tend to hold myself in place with my left hand while my right shovels material out of the way.
When I fan I fan with my right hand too and usually scrape the bedrock while doing that.

I started wearing my left hand gloves on my right hand by flipping them.
Enough of the finger tip is covered to work, but its a little tighter.

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not sure if they still got them because it's been a few months but I picked up a 10 pack of yellow gloves similar to those for 10 bucks at home depot.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just watched that video again, I sure like watching the little pieces take a ride up the nozzle on your sucker bottle :)

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure would like taking the top off for the one that won't fit.

OP
OP
B

brchcar1445

Jul 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grabbed a couple pair from home depot, they worked great. Although the finger tips are already wearing out, it was nice not have messed up fingers afterward. Well worth 4 bucks!

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i use leather gloves from costco, fit real nice, there a bit snug but work well, then wrap the wore out finger tips with gorilla tape,
as mention make up some tools that fit you needs or flea akes, garage sales, etc
made these up for a crevice when it got to deep for the tools i normally carry, have only use them once but worked out pretty good

Attachments

• IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0382.JPG
    IMG_0382.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 97

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image_12251.jpg

Great for cold weather, google long gloves harbor freight. Great price too.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grabbed a couple pair from home depot, they worked great. Although the finger tips are already wearing out, it was nice not have messed up fingers afterward. Well worth 4 bucks!

Yea the fingers wear out quick depending on what your doing. You can make them last longer with tape like someone else said. I use shoe goo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread