Best Gut on these Stone Items

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
You all have taught me more than anything I can find on the internet, information wise.

I am deliberately not giving any background or information on the items below until I get your best knowledgeable opinion on the objects.

Natural, man made, etc.

All of the items were found in one spot on one property.

I'll give a very detailed background and story tomorrow. If I say anything else, I will taint your very experienced opinions and it is of the utmost importance I don't.

It really is a mind blower.
artifacts.jpg

OP
OP
villival

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Treasure Hunter! I appreciate your taking a look.

I know very little about stones and am horrible at figuring out how to post with photos.

I am truly grateful for this forum and the knowledge here.

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. Like the other two posts stated. Natural stones with two shell fossils. But thank you for posting.

OP
OP
villival

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all I want to apologize. I was exhausted last night and didn't do a very good job on the post or explanations.

The problem is there are hundreds of stones and they are revealing themselves in groups. It all started when I was metal detecting my property and noticed the sand in our drive (we have about 4 acres) was purple. We generally don't have rocks or purple sand in Louisiana. :)

I read and looked and looked online. There is a good bit of purple Sioux quartz, which I knew nothing about.

Also, the variety of stones, some semi precious, is unheard of for here. Alluvial deposit in the load of gravel we got? Sure. But I am positive many, many of these items have been cut. There's just too much coincidence for chance.

Also, there seems to be an inordinate amount of "male anatomy" stones and others across all stone groups which have the same shape.

There is just no way it is chance and I'll attempt to do a much better job today of showing that in my post, which I'll put in the Rocks and gems forum.

So, being the good metal detectorist that I am, I started digging (figuratively).

What I've found defies any normal explanation I can come up with, as there are many, many stones with the same shapes across all groups. These are stones from all areas of the United States. The variety is astounding. I researched that also. Somehow, groups of stones, which are all found together as I "uncover" them, made their way down here, intact as groups?

I did enough research to conclude, at the very least, an alluvial deposit ended up in my rose garden, which is what wanted the load of rocks for.

What I've come up with, as an explanation, is the remains of a native american stone midden, but I really need the expertise on this forum. There are so many and so much, that I am completely overwhelmed.

It's a really hard thing to organize, photograph and give a proper explanation for.

One thing; the "carving" on the little black stone (obsidian I believe) is natural? How? It is raised and precise. And why are all the nicest stones, which you all have not seen, flat on one side? I really want to understand.

Well, I have my work cut out for me today.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it’s in a rose garden I’d be cautious attributing to natives, I’d think more likely someone brought in some decorative rock for their garden. Also sticking with the natural assumption water has a tendency to sort rock, it could be wherever your rocks were harvested was prone to that size of rock, also the long ones could just be a product of how that particular stone weathers if it falls into the river in long strips breaking along its various layers it could end up with that shape. I grew there’s two fossils, as for how it could look the way it does, what ever minerals replaced the fossil is probably harder than the parent rock so as the softer rock was worn away the fossil became raised and pronounced… lastly you also have to consider the function of a stone, why would a native find these useful enough to import and collect? I don’t see any real function to them… if you have to move with your whole life packed with you would you chose to waste weight and space on such a thing? All that said I think your mind is in the right place, the better you know your local geology the easier it is to spot things that don’t belong

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may never know how those rocks ended up where you found them but they are just rocks. They would serve no functions as tools. Native Americans made fine and easily discernable art & artifacts. Even their basic every day tools show easily identified grinding, chipping ,& wear use.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah just rocks this time. But cool you got your eyes open and looking. Those old folks were very skilled in stone work so you can spot the difference in the real deal.

OP
OP
villival

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Guys, I just lost a huge, long post and I am exhausted. We got a load of gravel with our dumptruck and somehow, inexplicably, we got the remains of what seems to have been a gemcutter.

Either we got part of a stationary native american site, scooped into our dumptruck and hauled home by us, or it ended up in the gravel pit as an alluvial deposit or it could be a combination.

Lost the whole darn post. I hate computers.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing posted is a native American artifact. Thread moved to Geofact forum.

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing posted is a native American artifact. Thread moved to Geofact forum.
Well, it isn't a loss at all. You gained valuable knowledge! You learned what NOT to drag home with you. Most of us took many years / trips to aquire this knowledge. Be thankful you don't have a 6x6x14' pile of Leaverites in your driveway.

It's all how you look at things....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it isn't a loss at all. You gained valuable knowledge! You learned what NOT to drag home with you. Most of us took many years / trips to aquire this knowledge. Be thankful you don't have a 6x6x14' pile of Leaverites in your driveway.

It's all how you look at things....
When I moved from Missouri back to Florida I left a high rock garden behind, full of broken points and interesting-looking rocks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread