Best headphones for Explorer SE ? (For Me) ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is sort of asking what is the best detector :tongue3:

so let me explain I am looking for the Best for "Me"

a little History.

Since I Got the SE a few months ago,
I'v been using the KOSS UR-30's that came with it.

If anyone has used them you know they are worth $2 bucks
on a good day(when they havn't been Touched yet).
No Volume, falling apart, weak tones.

Yesterday I put my old TROY PRO Headphones on and WOW !!!
like Night & Day. Loud , Crisp & Unfortunately Defective
Wires.

Yes Both pair are supposed to have Lifetime warranties.
But wrong time of year to be sending them away.

For those of you who use the Explorer SE, or Etrac
& Have used different Phones, What pair
has the Best Loud crisp seperation of Tones,
Quality Workmanship, so Lifetime warranties
can be Ignored along with Outside Noise ? :tongue3:

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grey ghosts or Sunray pro golds are my fav on my etrac and all the others.

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
I may be a little bias, but the Detector Pro headphones are tops to any I've used before them. For starters they are built here in the US. They are bombproof (although not tested :wink: ). The Grey Ghosts were the original and one of the best selling. The Black Widows are similar but have larger ear cups that block outside noise better and there is no limiter to the speakers. They are LOUD! All of the units come with volume control. Check out our site or Detector Pros site to see all the options they have to offer. All of the units also have the NDT option which allows you to change the cord manually if it gets broken. All of these units come with a lifetime warranty as well, but you shouldn't need it. Give me a call or send me a message if you want to know more. Take care and happy hunting

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I took the guts out of a set of the White's maroon head phones and put them in a set of flight line hearing protection headphones. with the additional db noise reduction, all the tones are crisp and clear, the separation is awesome. but if you don't want to build a set, I've heard the gray ghost's are excellent.
as for the Koss's that came with my etrac, total junk, cord is too short, volume control sucks. when I bent over, they would fall off

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought you had to use a special headphone because the jack was not standard 1/4" or am I reading this wrong?

In other words, can I go to the nearest store and buy a pair of headphones that will jack into it or do I have to send away for them?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
it should have a standard jack (1/4) inch. I think Garrett uses a 1/8. the thing you have to look at when buying a regular set off headphones, is volume control. some detectors don't have one, so you have to use the headphone control

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jeff , I use Black Widows with my E-track. The tones are clear and crisp.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the Grey Ghosts NDTs and any Explorer, perfect together. Have had the same pair for many years of use with the original XS and now will shortly be in my second year with the SE. Cannot comment on others, since I have been using the Grey Ghosts exclusively, despite having a new pair of Koss that I keep for emergency spare.

Don

BERT

Jun 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Etrac--G2--GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff------I've tried many different types/brands of h.p.'s (over the years) on the Explorers & now the Etrac.-----The one I have settled on & like the best are the Sunray Pro Golds.----They just have an EXCELLENT tonal quality to match/for the Minelabs, they are comfortable (have leather ear cup pads), so the cup pads don't develop a "memory", have a ratchet volume control on each ear cup & the cord length is just the right length.-----My second choice would be the Detector Pro NDT's (which are good h.p.'s & I used for years also) but the NDT's have a more "tinny" tone than the Pro Golds.-----The Golds just have that excellent "sweet silver" tone on deep silver/coppers. :thumbsup:---Both of the h.p.'s I mentioned have a lifetime warranty.------------BERT

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone at this point I'm
wavering between

Grey Ghosts NDTs

&

Sunray Pro Golds

& Researching Prices,

But Please Feel free to give personal
opinions on Both & Others if
neither of these are your preference

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I have 3 Minelabs and 2 pairs of Koss 30's... brand new and totally useless! I use Grey Ghost NDT's (except on the Excal II of course). Always found them comfortable, with good ambient sound reduction and crisp clear signalling. They come with detachable cable which is easy to replace if it breaks...which eventually it will so buy at least one spare cable on purchase.
I like 'em! :thumbsup:

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab includes the ur 30 headphones with their GPX 5000 This is about a $5.500 unit. If these headphones are not high quility.
Why would they supply them with this unit. Just asking. I'm getting a Minelab Pro Se that will have the ur 30 headphones.
I gess I better start checking on a better set of headphones.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, Thanks Everyone :thumbsup: