Best Knot for Magnet Fishing **IMHO**

deerhuntinghippie

Apr 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Whites PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I've been magnet fishing nor for quite some time and I've learned a few tricks here and there. Since this hobby seems to be growing very rapidly (I mean, we have our own forum on Tnet now!!!) I wanted to share the knot video I made for any newcomers to the hobby.
I tried to film the video in a way that makes this intimidating knot seem easier.
I first learned to tie this knot years and years ago when I was fishing bass tournaments in high school.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Most palomar knot videos I see on youtube are done with fishing line and that makes it hard to see exactly whats going on. Hope this video helps some of you.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello. Long time outdoorsman here. :hello: I used to be obsessed with fishing when I was single. Eat, sleep, breathe fishing. I love moving water particularly. Goal to go pro... I've since been domesticated. :cat:

This knot can be tied with eyes closed. It's simple, yet one of the most strong knots one can tie. It's also been my number one fishing knot to teach noobs. If you learn to tie only one fishing knot, this is the one. Can be tied anywhere along a line, alone or in series.

It's best to just shove a bight through the eye in the dark, or with very thin lines.

Good on you for making such a video.

You might want to learn the knotcraft terminology for ease of viewer understanding. Bight, standing end, working end, setting, dressing, etc.

And one important correction. The knot is not twice as strong as you mentioned. This particular knot maintains 90% tensile strength (TS, or UTS) of the line. This is how knots are properly assesed, as percentage of line strength under load.

It does potentially give twice the chance against abrasion damage at the eye though. In that sense it's twice as nice. 8-)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a modified hangmans noose with turnbuckle and quick link so I can easily switch from the 250LB magnet to the 150lb magnet, which I never do.:tongue3:
Also put your magnet into a heavy duty zip lock bag to make cleaning small particles off it easier.

magnets.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread