Best locations to buy land in NC ?

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Looking for land for farming as well as some treed area as well, Moving water a plus. I really loved this state on a visit a few years back and have been very anxiously waiting for a chance to buy a substantial parcel. I don't wanna be anywhere near a city and remoteness is also a big plus. I'm not looking for realtors nor do I want any specific parcels, I just wanna hear the areas that you guys suggest and why.

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
moved from n.c. 1 year ago price of land was high. found a little town in south west v.a. hit hard by lots of factory closing land is cheap compare to n.c. if you have your heart set on n.c. check out the aveage household income for the area.

1Privateer

Oct 3, 2006
Eastern NC-Pirate Country!
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Gtp 1350 Bounty Hunter Pioneer
There are taxes in NC but farm land is valued differently and the taxes are not that high. Compared to NY its probably very reasonable. What you will pay varies by area of the state, the use, and proximity to major transportation/recreation/population centers.

I live 15 miles from the nearest city and a little over an hour drive to the beach areas. Love it!! Quiet with plenty of wildlife, good neighbors, lots of history, and a near by river for quick fishing if you want. Its about 2 grand an acre right now for farm residential and not all that easy to come by. Its mainly a close knit community, as are most really rural areas, and the property stays in the family. There are auctions every now and then where you can buy areage especially since the tobacco buyout. Corn is the up and coming crop with the ethenol production schedule. Hay is also seeing an increase with the weather in the midwest and south. In fact hay has gone up $1.25 per bale recently and getting relatively hard to come by.

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
if you should move down south please don't say will up north or back home we did it this way. someone will tell you to go back there and do it that way! second thing ice tea comes sweet.

bbqcook

Apr 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Soveriegn GT, DFX, Ace 250
One site I use, just to look around is forsalebyowner . com You can look at any state. I have found that the Southern border of VA has some decent prices. I'm looking to move from where I am. Out of the high rent district.

Seajay

Jul 6, 2003
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, Garrett's CX w/Bloodhound, GTA 500, Whites PI
Vacationed in Cashiers, NC (pronounced cashers) three years ago. Area is located in the mountains, lots of waterfalls in the areas, snake back roads, and not heavily populated. The area is popular with tourists; especially in the summer. Small town atmosphere.

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
WNYHobo said:
Looking for land for farming as well as some treed area as well, Moving water a plus. I really loved this state on a visit a few years back and have been very anxiously waiting for a chance to buy a substantial parcel. I don't wanna be anywhere near a city and remoteness is also a big plus. I'm not looking for realtors nor do I want any specific parcels, I just wanna hear the areas that you guys suggest and why.

Check out Warrenton NC , near to Lake Gaston and Kerr Lake > time has stood still in this beautiful historical town. Small farms often for sale > closer to the mountains as well. Lots of privacy and rolling acreage.

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
WNYHobo said:
I just wanna hear the areas that you guys suggest and why.

Moved to the Asheville area a couple of years ago. From Maine, but from Utah before that, and "Old England" before that. In Utah they had a saying about Park City - "in Utah but not _of_ it." You could kinda say the same about Asheville substituting "South" in a few key places. We're in the mountains, so it's not too hot in summer and it still has 4 real seasons. Had a good combination of what we were looking for, which included available land outside of town and in-town "culture" -- whatever that means; good food, a music and arts scene, and a progressive population was probably art of our definition. It's "Southern" when you get here from New England, but not so Southern to be too strange (Real Southerners, don't take that wrong - that ain't a dig, if I didn't find it appealing I wouldn't be here!) Land outside of town is still "affordable" (now there's a relative term if I ever said one).

PM me if you want to chat specifics.

Bob.

kbrocks

Greenie
Nov 16, 2006
NC & TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
There's lots of places around here that fit your needs. My in-laws actually purchased some land and a house in a little town called Westfield, about 45 minutes north of Winston-Salem, and 10 minutes from the Virginia border and Blue Ridge Mountains. The town they are in has a population of maybe 300 people, and at least 20 minute drive to a town with more than say, 10,000 people.
Also, as of right now the land is still reasonably cheap. They got 22 acres with an older house for around $150K. The land was once tobacco farming land, so as a bonus, there are old foundations and an old cabin on the land that I can metal detect at. Also has 2 spring fed streams on the land. Very nice, in my opinion.

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Thanks everyone for your input so far. The people who know me know I already own a fairly large amt of land in various parts of the country for landscape tree farming. But this land is where my wife and I are going to be looking to retire so I'm really taking my time to find her dream property whatever the cost. I'm taking everything you guys are saying to heart and looking at every town and area on line and will be following it up with a trip in the fall to my top five favorite locations.

warboy

Jan 3, 2008
In my opinion the best place to buy land in NC is in the eastern part of the state. There are lots of old farms up for sale in remote areas, the sandhills area are also a good area. If you were buying for development the hottest area id down east on the coast, there are vast tracts of land on the water be it river or ocean(yes there are tracts still avalible that are on the ocean front) your best bet thou, is in the middle eastern part of the state.
WarBoy

wmfd8

Greenie
Dec 3, 2007
Where ever you buy here you are going to have good people and bad people. Some people will not have a good experience here because they may think they are better. If you know what I mean. I have live in the west and down south and have always come home. I have found out home is where your heart is no matter what.

JW

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
If you want the mountain areas, I suggest areas like Burnsville, Spruce Pine, West Jefferson or Saluda.

If you want non mountain, I suggest Stanley, Lincoln or Chattham Counties.

These are pleasant, slower paced and non metropolis areas.

I am not sure what is available to the East, but I know "There's not much in the North East side of the state" (but that's not a bad thing!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread