Best MD for the money?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
White's DFX has preset settings that are very good and easy to use. Then if you choose, you can play around and make your own setting, but you do not need to.

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
IMO if I had $1000 dollars to spend on a detector without a doubt I would buy the Whites DFX,which is a little bit more $1099 in the last Whites catalog I got and it comes with a pinpointer,understanding the DFX DVD,a pair of headphones and 2 books.

From what the users of this machine have posted on the forum I wouldn't have a second thought,plus some of the finds made by the DFX are truly amazing,as far as tools go I would find makeshift ones or go to garage sales and get things I think would make great tools for a fraction of the price until I could upgrade them.

~Shawn~

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Well having owned and used a DFX for many hours I have now gone to an EX2 and a F-75 and have many hours on these as well. Both are easy to use right out of the box and both will go deeper than the DFX and will handle bad and trashy ground better

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I wanted to add:

I'm sure your going to get many replies to this post and it's going to be the posters preference and experience using those machines,as will it leave your head spinning and ultimately indecisive on which machine you should invest in.

My opinion would be for you to get a list of the machines that you can afford in your price range,then look for posts of people that use those machines(todays finds)section is a good place to look,to see what they have found with the various detectors,and then base your decision on what you think were the kinds of stuff you would like to find yourself....I hope this helps

OP
OP
Ghondi

Ghondi

Jun 26, 2007
Coventry, CT
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
UnEarthed72 said:
I wanted to add:

I'm sure your going to get many replies to this post and it's going to be the posters preference and experience using those machines,as will it leave your head spinning and ultimately indecisive on which machine you should invest in.

My opinion would be for you to get a list of the machines that you can afford in your price range,then look for posts of people that use those machines(todays finds)section is a good place to look,to see what they have found with the various detectors,and then base your decision on what you think were the kinds of stuff you would like to find yourself....I hope this helps

Thank you. I think that would be a great idea....I'm gonna try to compile a list and do what you just said.

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
You have a 1000.00 budget. I would forget about the DFX, EX and the F75. All three excellent but the best for the $?

You are going to have to buy coils and other things. Look at the M6 or the MXT. Both great detectors and enough $ left to get a small coil and maybe the super 12 or a Sunray probe. That would be a great set up for the $.

My dealers regular prices and he discount even more when you purchase multiple items. Also Whites many times have promotions going with the purchase of a detector such as a coupon towards a coil, pinpointer, headphones, diggers etc. I bout a Sunray DX1 probe and Super 12 coil at the same time. Sold me the probe for 157.92 and the Super 12 for 196.26.

MXT 679.95
M6 594.95

4X6 Eclipse DD coil 127.45
5.3 Eclipse coil 127.45
Super 12 coil 212.00
Sunray DX1 probe 170.95

Dang, I was just sitting here figuring this up and would be a fantastic set up for 1000.00
M6 594.95
4X6 or 5.3 coil 127.45
Sunray DX1 170.95
Lesche digger 42.95
Pro Gold phones 98.95

total 1,035.25 And this is before any extra discount for purchasing multiple items.

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck to you and HH.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll be different and say buy a used detector.

There are lots of "like new" machines out there that were bought and used maybe 6 times.

If possible, buy a used detector from a well-known and popular online metal detector dealer or from one of the members here.

You can get a $1000 machine for anywhere from $500 to $700 and it can be in mint condition.

Buy used and try it. If it's not for you, sell it on ebay, get your money back, and try again. I do this all the time and I usually make money on my detectors.

Great detectors are:

Minelab GT - Like New $350-$400 approx.

Tesoro Tejon - Like New $375-$420

Nautilus IIb and IIa - Like New $300-$400

Tesoro Silver uMax - Like New $150-$175

Minelab Explorer II - Like New $650-$700

Many older detectors can be bought cheap and are as good or better than some new models today.

Buy and try...that's what I believe in.

Badger

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I would buy a fisher gold bug 2 or Minelab Eureka gold and spent the rest on a little prospecting trip :P Since I have those detectors already.I would like to try a Tesoro Super lobo. :)
Rob

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Wow, no one bothered to ask what you want to find? :-\

There is no "one" machine that will do everything.

What interests you? What area will you be hunting, beach inland or both? Relics? Gold? Coins? Bling? How serious are you going to be in your time and effort?

Heck if you wanted to find placer gold, none of the machines listed so far would do you much good. Sure they find some larger pieces sitting on top, but without knowing what your needs are, I can't offer my OPINION.

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota
I'm in the same spot as you.I've used a Tesoro Vaquero,which I traded.I know have a CZ3D and a CZ70.I like the CZ's but I have to dig more trash,screwcaps and twisted pulltabs than I'd like.Both are plenty deep and they're "nickel magnets".My MDing mentor has used every major high end detector that's come out in the last 13 years.He currently is using a DFX and he really likes it.He can get the depth he got with his CZ's and Explorer.The signagraph seems to be real accurate.A DFX is my next purchase.Just my thoughts on this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread