Best metal detecting tip from 2007?

gary s fl

Mar 21, 2005
Birmingham Alabama
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, Explorer II, Excalibur, Aquasound, TDI, GB 2, Quick-triggered CZ-21, AU-21, G2, Comprade 7" & 5.5"
Primary Interest:
Other
What was your one best tip you tip for 2007, whether learned from experience, read about, or given to you by a friend?
Mine was covering a producing spot from as many angles as possible. It's something I read in a book some years back but never realized the importance of it until late last year in one old park that kept producing old coins in the same area. HH for 2008.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This tip is for every year, not just 2007!

Never show anyone what you find! Never brag about your finds!

Time is the only thing you never get back. Why waste it swinging a detector that is not up to the task.

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Ignore all the Ford / Chevy yada , yada , yada & learn to use whatever machine you have or can reasonably afford . HH

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dig tons of trash then when the good signal/s POP they will stand out

G

gamiller

When tired and if possible walk backwards and metal detect, you will not fighting your body by swinging in front of it.

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy a detector until you try at least two of them out!

Do not listen to hype, and do not take the word of another person, unless it is Jesus Christ Himself.

Don't be a fool. Think for yourself and don't let other detectorists do your thinking for you. Most detectorists are only brand-loyal, ill-informed, and measureably highly opinionated too, especially those who live in low-iron areas..

Again, DO NOT BUY A DETECTOR UNLESS YOU HAVE TRIED AT LEAST TWO OF THE SAME MODEL IN (YOUR) SOIL!

Bring food when you detect. And bring a gun or a good dog if you detect in the woods or are completely by yourself.

Learn your detector before you give up on it and buy something else you will learn to hate even more.

Remember, that soil conditions and coil size and type make a detector behave a lot better, or a lot worse.

And remember that the fringe areas now normally produce more targets than the open areas.

Look for trees and plants, bushes, etc which were planted a long time ago when searching for old farmstead and homestead locations.

Don't let any other adult use your detector and don't let anyone baby-sit it either.

A big knife hanging on your belt makes people want to leave you alone with your detecting.

Put a sign on your back saying; "No, I'm not looking for "money", and "NO" I'm not finding any gold or anything else either".

If you are a perv, don't hang a sign on yourself saying "I love little children". Someone will kill you and you won't get another chance to be a lib again.

Stay away from mean dogs and sick people.

Do not swing more than two detectors at the same time. Someone will think you're nuts.

Stay away from quicksand, and "sneaker waves" too on the Oregon coast. Those waves will surely get you to Japan and very quickly too.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
...........Sandman ...... is right again keep your mouth shut .................==Jim==

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman is CORRECT, plus: BUY AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax - IT ROCKS!
Teach a child to use your detector. I love that. Teach them some then just let them go. Don't worry that they swing wrong or want to dig trash signals.......just enjoy watching them at play. Let them do their thing. It will teach you a lot.

I had 4 kids (ages 5 to 7) and 3 adults (all old farts) with 3 detectors in my backyard today. They all got treasure to take home. One found a cool 2002 100 yen coin and a very nice bead. The others got some chunks of steel to show off. All were smiling ear-to-ear. Great stuff.

I'll enjoy swinging by myself and being "serious" about it tomorrow but today was for the kids.

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
I would say the best advice I've learned from Tnet in general is that persistence gets the reward.

R M P T R

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread