Best metal detector for beach?? (not in water)

OP
OP
F

freemoney

but do those metal detectors sort though trash, i know beaches are high trash junk areas and I need to be able for it to detect difference from a coin and foil

edit: ok i look at the Minelab Quattro MP and it looks very good, it says

Accurate identification of targets to greater depth
Enhanced detection of desired targets amidst iron ?trash?
Enhanced detection capabilities when searching salt-water beaches

so I think that is one I will get unless you know of a better one then this one, also will they be making a another newer Quattro, like a Quattro MP 2?

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
If you wan to weed through the junk and you are not going into the water you want a DFX. it is the best machine with the best beach program that I have used yet.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
The Quatro, Explorer and the Sovereign all handle the wet salt sand better than the DFX plus they have excellent discrimination. I would nt recommend the Pulse induction machines because of thier poor discrimination.
seeya Neilo ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neilo is right about the pulse machines having poor discrimination. DFX is a good machine but not hip mountabe and it's heavy, and tends to sound like dieing chicken in the wet sand. LOL. There are many good machines if you stay out of the wet sand and that is where 90% of the gold is located in my opinion.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I used the DFX last year for a week at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. It worked flawlessly. My best finds came from in the water, low tide, ankle to knee deep. The only thing I worried about was getting swamped by a big wave and ruining it. :(

No, the DFX is not heavy. That's what I use all the time and I'm a 5'6" female.

Just my opinion.

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
UM actually the DFX IS HIP MOUNTABLE, whites sells the conversion kit for about $40. Check it out online on whites website underaccessories, the kit is good for the XLT and the QXT

OP
OP
F

freemoney

OK, so now 2 to choose, either

Minelab Quattro MP

or

Whites DFX

the whites is 1 pound heavier at 4 pounds then the Quattro at 3 pounds
but I need to know which one is better, like get more depth but also get great Filtration and Discrimination , becuase whats depth if you digging up all iron junk.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at the Technetics T2 while you are looking! Monty

OP
OP
F

freemoney

Ok, so i compared the Whites DFX and the Minelab Quattro MP and because this is for beach only, Quattro still does better for beach but not as good on normal land compared to DFX, but Im not using it on normal land so the Quattro is better, onlything better would have to be a Quattro 2 if they ever make one and my next land coin based machine maybe will be a DFX

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While your at it, think about the Explorer II. A lot also depends on the area and the ground balance. If you don't check it you chould be handicapping yourself. I've used used many detectors on the beaches and DFX is easier but not as productive at the wrong settings. An that's what happens when newbies start out.

frogsmile

Dec 18, 2005
ohio
Detector(s) used
whites spectrem and fisher impulse and minelab excal.
If your going to dect. salt water beaches go with a minelab the whites machines are to eratic and don't want to ground balance on salt water beaches.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mona Lisa said:
My best finds came from in the water, low tide, ankle to knee deep. The only thing I worried about was getting swamped by a big wave and ruining it. :(

No, the DFX is not heavy. That's what I use all the time and I'm a 5'6" female.

Just my opinion.

Well I have no clue! But I think Mona Lisa should be careful, hope you were wearing weighted shoes and don't go during the months of Sept-November! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions