Best metal detector for me?

thrstyunderwater

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I know, I can read the forums, scour the web and come up with my own answer.

But I've started enough hobbies to know where to look.

Here's my info:

I'm a wildlife graduate student and spend my summers and falls in south central Nevada doing wildlife field work (coyote biology research). It's an extremely remote area that has a super rich mining history. Lot's of old cabins, mine shafts, small settlements, etc.

I won't be at the beach, so I don't know that super water proof is important. I'm completely off the grid, so will have to charge the battery with a car charger or solar panels a lot of the time; electricity is at a premium where I'm at. I imagine a lot of the "treasure" I'll be looking for could be quite deep, as most of the mining activity ended in the area in the 1890's.

I'm also interested in good head phones and whatever digging and sifting tools folks might recommend. I'd like to spend $300 or less on the detector, am up for recommendations on what add on's I might need.

I'm 6'3", 29, and in shape if that matters.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett Ace 350. Performance is better than price reflects imho. Plus you get a pouch,digger(cheap) & headphones w/it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know I know, I can read the forums, scour the web and come up with my own answer.

But I've started enough hobbies to know where to look.

Here's my info:

I'm a wildlife graduate student and spend my summers and falls in south central Nevada doing wildlife field work (coyote biology research). It's an extremely remote area that has a super rich mining history. Lot's of old cabins, mine shafts, small settlements, etc.

I won't be at the beach, so I don't know that super water proof is important. I'm completely off the grid, so will have to charge the battery with a car charger or solar panels a lot of the time; electricity is at a premium where I'm at. I imagine a lot of the "treasure" I'll be looking for could be quite deep, as most of the mining activity ended in the area in the 1890's.

I'm also interested in good head phones and whatever digging and sifting tools folks might recommend. I'd like to spend $300 or less on the detector, am up for recommendations on what add on's I might need.

I'm 6'3", 29, and in shape if that matters.

Welcome from White Plains, New York! You are going to be VERY limited with your budget. First, you'll need to rely on rechargable batteries, so make sure the detector you choose uses AA batteries as they are the most common and cheapest rechargables. Second, you need a machine that you can manually ground balance in highly mineralized ground for maximum depth. If you are looking for gold and silver, then it starts to get expensive - Fisher Goldbug Pro; Tesoro Lobo Super Traq; Teknetics G2; Whites GMT. Do your homework. I use Killer B headphones on my Tesoro Lobo, and they are comfortable and rugged. Good Luck!

OP
OP
T

thrstyunderwater

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett Ace 350. Performance is better than price reflects imho. Plus you get a pouch,digger(cheap) & headphones w/it.

Anyone else have this opinion? It get's good reviews on Amazon and newegg and sure is in my price range!

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first detector was an Ace250.. I loved it, but if you would get it I would definitely recommend getting a larger coil to get more depth.. If I were you, I would look on ebay and craigslist.. I just sold my ace250 with an additional coil for 180.. There are decent deals out there to be found.. You just have to search..

OP
OP
T

thrstyunderwater

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have any opinions on the Garrett GTI 1500?

I found one in the classifieds for pretty cheap, after taking into account the recommendations above.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread