Best Metal Detector

Vone

Nov 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello
My name is Elvan and i'm new to this site.Near my village i and my father have located some areas who might have gold buried for 120+ years.My uncle has a Garret(i don't know which one and i think it is for amateurs).The garret could sense it but we couldn't locate exactly where the gold was because it was 60 cm deeper in the ground and someone else who had a better metal detector got it during the night so we lost the gold.Now we want to buy a metal detector who is able to locate buried gold but we do not know which one is the best.I wanted to buy the OKM exp 5000 gold but i read in other forums that people are not happy with OKM products.

I want to say that i have no idea about metal detectors and i would like to know which is the best for finding long time buried gold.If someone could explain me how this things work and give me an advice i would appreciate it.

Thank you very much and sorry for my english(it is not my native language).

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much can you spend in US Dollars on a metal detector? A Minelab GPX 5000 runs about $5,700.00

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
60cm is about 24" which is at the limits of normal VLF equipment. If the booty is in an iron box, then it does not matter what detecter you use, as long as the tecter has the depth needed. A lot of good vlf tecters out there with a big coil say 12 inch plus, will hit on a mass of metal two feet deep, but the target has to be at least as big as a pie plate. You could consider pulse machines which go deeper but love trash and are tough to learn. You dont need a five thousand dollar machine, those are made for finding relatively small gold nuggets that are deep, in tough mineralized soil. You could consider a used two box, but tough to set up and learn to be confident with. You have to decide what equipment is the best for your situation. If I were you, I would slap a big aftermarket coil on a mid range vlf, do some air testing on big metal crap, and try my luck. Get a metal rod probe three feet long. If you get a suspect hit, probe the ground and dont dig anything unless its deep and big. That will save a lot of digging.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wilcome.PNG Vone, don't worry about your language skills as a lot of us can hardly speak English well.

Gleaner gave good advice. Good Luck:thumbsup:

OP
OP
V

Vone

Nov 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again and thank you very much for your replies.Terry Soloman i can spend up to 50.000$ for a metal detector. Gleaner1 thank you for your advice.We tested my uncle's garret in two ways.1-we dug 5-15 cm and 20-30cm and for both holes we put gold and then we covered them.Garret was able to detect the first hole(5-15)but not the second.

The first gold we lost was just 50 meters away from our location but our garret was unable to locate it(we just searched for it 2 hours,if we could put much time we could find it).What i want to say is that we have located the zones who might have gold and we are 90%sure for it but we do not have a metal detector for deep buried gold.

I wanted to buy exp 5000 gold with a sensitive super sensor for 25.000$ and bionic x4 but i read that okm products are fake.Did anyone try it and tell me if they are fake cause i don't want to spend a lot of money in fake products?
I know there is no answer for the best metal detector question but is okm a good product or are there any metal detector who can help me?

Again thank you very much and have a good day

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 4800 or 5000 will pick it up with ease!

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure myself but I would say a AT Pro Gold if that is what you mainly want to search for. That depends on where you hunting too. I think that unit is tuned mainly for finding gold. But then again, I am not a gold only hunter so there will be folks to give better advice. I say Garrett due to the customer service reputation. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread