Best or only detector for finding stud earings?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Friend of mine went out last week looking for a large stud earring for someone. He had his T2 and Explorer SE and he couldn't get a reading on the second earring. He told the homeowner that if anyone could find it, it would be his buddy (me). Of course I am flattered and I contact the owner of the earring. Went out today with me Deus and Compradre. Well guess, what, I couldn't get a reading know matter how I set the Deus up. The Comprare wouldn't do a thing as well.

I am fairly adept at the settings so I know that wasn't the problem, but the Deus would barely sense it and the earring would have to be oriented just a certain way and it would have to be right up against the coil. If I had the CTX today I would have tried to depend on the Audio Threshold and would have listened for the breaks, but I am unsure if the CTX would have even found it. The Garrett AT Propointer would not sense it either.

Surprisingly the owner's AT Pro would somewhat sense it if it was placed within an inch of the coil, but what surprised me over the Deus was that it would give a bouncy, but actual reading on the VID (27-41). I would say the Deus was 10% working and the AT Pro was easily 50% picking up on the stud.

My question is this, has anyone found/used a detector that would actually pick up on stud earrings well and how did it do? How far will it pick up on depth and would it give a VID?

BTW, I did find the earring, but it was an "eyeball" find. It would have been the most expensive thing I found by sight alone ($6,000 for the pair).

Upvote 0

freepistol

Apr 13, 2016
Berwick, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a small , thin piece of a 10K charm at the end of the stick. My Compadre picks this up at a depth of about 2" . Air tests at about 2 1/2".

That's great info! I asked my daughters to get me a Compadre for my birthday next month. It will be my first MD. I'll be looking for a small gold ring in my yard that my older daughter lost many years ago.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A small gold ring shouldn't be a problem with any detector, but, a tiny stud earring made of gold or platinum is a different animal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread