Best PI machine for Salt beach

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking about buying a PI machine for hunting the wet sand and shallow water(up to chest deep) of a salt water beach. I'm wondering what the opinions of everyone here are as to what PI machine is best for this application. I currently use an Excal II for the beach and it's been great, but I've heard there is a big depth advantage over the Excal when going to a PI machine. How deep can they actually get compared to the Excal? I don't mind digging a few more targets while on the beach if it gets me a few more goodies that are missed by the Excal. What's everyone's take on this? And what does anyone have experience with? Thanks for your help!

Happy Hunting!

-Nate

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is like saying you can learn all there is to hunt land in an hour

Yep, that is exactly right. This is NOT a complicated hobby, that is why it is so family friendly. You can give a 10-year-old girl about 10-minutes of instruction and they will start finding stuff right away. Developing personal technique takes about 50-hours, wet or dry.

Nugget hunting on the other hand, does not rely on where people have been or congregate. You have to know some basic geology, and most of the time you are in remote and hard to detect locations. Snake guards, kneepads, picks and expensive - heavy machines. This is a non-argument in my mind..

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm 5'8"...138lbs........starting a diet today. Yet another new complex to deal with. Thanks Terry! :laughing7:

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Infinium LS, Tejon, F3, CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't care about anyone's differences with Terry. The success of at least one SS user on this site seems to back up a lot of what terry says. What part is bs?

I realize that spending more buys me more machine, the question is how much more machine would i really be getting? I own a vaquero. i think it keeps up with Safaries and Explorers just fine at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. it's not the toy some would write it off to be. The question is now SS versus the higher cost machines? How much more machine would i be getting?

Go watch the videos in this thread, it is air tests comparing the Dual Field, HH PI, Sand Shark, and Infinium. The differences in depth are obvious.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...er-pulse-whites-pi-1000-video-comparison.html

I'm not just out to get Terry, I just don't like how he says "The Sand Shark is as good or better than any pi under $1,200", cause it's complete B.S. I bought the Sand Shark cause of Terry's praise for the machine, and sold it 3 months later for a big loss because it didn't perform nearly as well as he says it does. It's a mediocre machine IMO, the best thing about it is the warranty. Get a Sea hunter MK II if you are on a budget.

Terry is good friends with the guys at Tesoro, he is a walking Tesoro advertizement. He will never admit that the Sand Shark is sub-par, he has been banned from Findmall because he wont quit lying about the Sand Shark. Only a matter of time before this forum and friendly forums bans him as well, I say good riddance.

And no, I'm not Anti-Tesorro, I own a Tejon and I love it. The Sand Shark is a 20? year old PI that needs an upgrade badly... or at least a pulse delay knob instead of a useless pulse width knob.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awful lot of squaking without any finds to back up your claims. AKA, you give me far too much credit and if IN FACT you bought a Sand Shark "because I told you to," you're as dumb as I am ( I married my second wife cause she told me to!). Seriously fella, where is all this booty you have been finding with your super deep Infinium? You can cry and whine all day, so what? Show Us The Booty!!!!

Go watch the videos in this thread, it is air tests comparing the Dual Field, HH PI, Sand Shark, and Infinium. The differences in depth are obvious.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...er-pulse-whites-pi-1000-video-comparison.html

I'm not just out to get Terry, I just don't like how he says "The Sand Shark is as good or better than any pi under $1,200", cause it's complete B.S. I bought the Sand Shark cause of Terry's praise for the machine, and sold it 3 months later for a big loss because it didn't perform nearly as well as he says it does. It's a mediocre machine IMO, the best thing about it is the warranty. Get a Sea hunter MK II if you are on a budget.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awful lot of squaking without any finds to back up your claims. AKA, you give me far too much credit and if IN FACT you bought a Sand Shark "because I told you to," you're as dumb as I am ( I married my second wife cause she told me to!). Seriously fella, where is all this booty you have been finding with your super deep Infinium? You can cry and whine all day, so what? Show Us The Booty!!!!

I'm in full time college, and working nights, which takes up the vast majority of my time. I get out for 3 hours once a week if I'm lucky. Like I said last time you brought it up, you can search my posts on friendly forums if you want to see my finds. I'm in San Diego, a city with 200+ less years of american history than new york, gold is much easier to find over there, and I've still found just as much as you. Try comparing your finds to Craig (Dual Field), Cupajo (Dual Field), or Bobby Pins (Infinium), and see how you stack up.

This is about machine performance, not who has the best hunting grounds/most time to hunt.

Keep grasping at straws, Terry.

Edit: Everyone thinks that we just dont like Terry, so we talk bad about the Sand Shark, but it's like if someone was running around claiming that the Ace 250 was just as deep as any detector under $1,500... that would cause quite a stir also. That's exactly what is happening with Terry and the Sand Shark, though not as big of a depth difference between an Ace 250 and an Etrac... those of us who have use the Sand Shark and other PIs know that the depth difference between the Sand Shark and the other PIs is quite obvious.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, once again a whole lot of yadda-yadda-yadda, and no booty. Whinin' and speculating, spitting and kicking, but no superior finds from a machine that costs twice what mine does, and you don't have enough experience on to even form an opinion. In fact, I wager my 300+ hours on the Infinium LS since 2003, is a lot more than you have on.

You wannabees and blowhards attack people, you never have any alternative arguments or facts. You cannot show that the Sands Shark is in any way inferior to ANY PI costing $1,200.00 or less, and it is eating you alive to the point you'll make fools of yourselves.

Oh, and EVERY time you jokers get into with me, it drives traffic to my web sites. I MAKE money off of you, and the other haters. Think about that. I do.

I'm in full time college, and working nights, which takes up the vast majority of my time. I get out for 3 hours once a week if I'm lucky. Like I said last time you brought it up, you can search my posts on friendly forums if you want to see my finds. I'm in San Diego, a city with 200+ less years of american history than new york, gold is much easier to find over there, and I've still found just as much as you. Try comparing your finds to Craig (Dual Field), Cupajo (Dual Field), or Bobby Pins (Infinium), and see how you stack up.

This is about machine performance, not who has the best hunting grounds/most time to hunt.

Keep grasping at straws, Terry.

Edit: Everyone thinks that we just dont like Terry, so we talk bad about the Sand Shark, but it's like if someone was running around claiming that the Ace 250 was just as deep as any detector under $1,500... that would cause quite a stir also. That's exactly what is happening with Terry and the Sand Shark, though not as big of a depth difference between an Ace 250 and an Etrac... the depth difference between the Sand Shark and the other PIs is quite obvious.

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, once again a whole lot of yadda-yadda-yadda, and no booty. Whinin' and speculating, spitting and kicking, but no superior finds from a machine that costs twice what mine does, and you don't have enough experience on to even form an opinion. In fact, I wager my 300+ hours on the Infinium LS since 2003, is a lot more than you have on.

You wannabees and blowhards attack people, you never have any alternative arguments or facts. You cannot show that the Sands Shark is in any way inferior to ANY PI costing $1,200.00 or less, and it is eating you alive to the point you'll make fools of yourselves.

Oh, and EVERY time you jokers get into with me, it drives traffic to my web sites. I MAKE money off of you, and the other haters. Think about that. I do.

The videos prove everything Terry. Lie to yourself all you want, but the videos show that the Sand Shark gets the least depth of any of the PIs.

Now you're saying you have 300+ hours on the Infinium, 100+ hours on the dual field, blah blah blah, you're so full of %#$# dude. You can make up anything over the internet as long as you dont need proof, eh?

I'm not going to waste my time with you anymore, you don't even read what anyone types to you. Just know that every time you recommend the Sand Shark, I'll be PMing them explaining the truth about the machine, and linking to the video proof.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone, please do not be disrespectful to other members who disagree with you. it is against the rules. Everyone has their preference, you can't change someone's mind who is sure they are right, no matter what side of the arguement they or you are on........ You can disagree with someone, but if the threads turn ugly we are obligated to either edit it or locked it..... If everyone follows the rules none have to be edited or locked....

It is like asking what is better Ford or Chevy, of course most of us know the the answer is Chevy, but some people will disagree.....:laughing7:LOL

Implying something and using astricks to spell it doesn't change what your saying, especially when you use the same number of spaces......**** you, is still breaking the rules....

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
Terry... we have known for a long time its all about making money for you... everytime we reply to your posts people are going to look and click on your websites... we aren't stupid... doesn't mean you give good advice all the time... tell me something you say you have 150 hours on the DF and 300 on the infinium and another 70 on the Garrett Seahunter plus all the time you have on the Sandshark and you have just a handful of finds... what does that say? That says a whole lot to me... I am not brand specific and will give better advice because I am not in this hobby to make anything off of it.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
I am not going to waste too many words on you Tom... as I have no respect for you after you talked down to me like you were better then me in a private message... I own my landscaping business and I enjoy it. enough said there. Can I ask you something now? But don't expect me to reply though. Why are you in the hobby? You never post anything and all the advice you give is what you have heard from others... you are a wannabe.. end of story... have a great life.

I can't speak for Terry, but you told me the SS wasn't a good machine. I looked to you as a PI expert and PMed you for an opinion on buying one. You told me that even though it was much less expensive than the White's Dual Field that you didn't believe it was worth the money. You recommended I pony up and buy the White's. You were quite detailed in your explanation, which truthfully as a rookie, much went over my head. What didn't go over my head was your telling me not to buy one. You are also a vocal critic of the machine on your home forum site, but not here where you are giving it much more credit.

I'm confused by your varying opinions. For those of us who are interested in the SS, has your opinion changed? If so, why?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry... we have known for a long time its all about making money for you... everytime we reply to your posts people are going to look and click on your websites... we aren't stupid... doesn't mean you give good advice all the time... tell me something you say you have 150 hours on the DF and 300 on the infinium and another 70 on the Garrett Seahunter plus all the time you have on the Sandshark and you have just a handful of finds... what does that say? That says a whole lot to me... I am not brand specific and will give better advice because I am not in this hobby to make anything off of it.

Yadda-yadda-yadda.. Craig, I am sorry you feel you need to sink to this level. You know I don't post everything I find, and you also know I have posted a lot more than most. I don't feel a real need to show you or anyone else what I find. You simply don't like me, because I am telling people that all this mumbo-jumbo you and "the oldtimers" spout, is bloviation. You don't have any more experience detecting than I do, and I certainly do not see myself as a guru like you seem to see yourself. Your way or the Highway? I've been in my car and on my way since the first time you deleted one of my posts, sent me a nasty PM, and had me kicked off of Findmall (the first time). I don't hate you man, I feel sorry for you.

If you need to feel important and superior, that's cool with me. Just don't expect me to stop laughing long enough to take you seriously..

Aka Nameless

Aug 13, 2008
West Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, you are the one nobody takes seriously. You ask me to "show the booty" "put up or shut up", etc. Then when Craig responds, you say showing finds isn't important.... what a joke...

You lie about the machines you have used, lie about the gold you have found, lie about the Sand Shark being a top tier machine... do you ever tell the truth?

Many of us have great respect for Craig, he has a lot of experience, you can trust what he says, and gives good advice to newbies.

Then there is Terry.... "Hunting tot lots? Sand Shark is perfect!" "Hunting for gold nuggets? Sand Shark all the way!"

Alright I'm done for real this time, tired of stooping to Terrys level...

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this thread continues to be a flame war it will get locked...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Review of the Tesoro Sand Shark
By Terry Soloman

The Tesoro Sand Shark is a pulse induction metal detector, fully waterproof (submersible to 200-feet), and specifically designed for saltwater use. The pulse induction system gives the Sand Shark superior sensitivity and depth capabilities in conductive wet-ocean sand and heavily mineralized saltwater.

The Sand Shark controls are laid out simply, and are very easy to understand and use. The controls include the Mode switch; Pulse Width dial; Threshold dial; and Volume dial. One of the real advantages of the Sand Shark is the adjustable “Audio Frequency.” This allows the user to set the exact audio frequency – or tone, that his-or-her ear can hear the best. This is important, and can mean extra depth and more treasure when you are training your ears to listen for slight breaks and whispers in the Sand Shark’s constant threshold.

The saltwater environment is harsh, punishing electronics and equipment of all kinds. The Sand Shark is designed to thrive in saltwater, and comes with a very tough set of hardwired (permanently attached to the control box) underwater headphones, and a hardwired 8”- or 10.5”- round printed spiral searchcoil. The unit uses eight AA-batteries, which are loaded into a battery pack that is easily inserted into the waterproof control box.

Tesoro really took the Sand Shark to the next level, by giving the user several carry options and swinging set-ups. The unit has an 8’ coil cable and a 6’ accordion headphone cable, so the control box can be mounted below or above the handhold, on a belt, a chest mount or in a backpack. This means even a child can comfortably carry and swing the Sand Shark for hours on end.

The sensitivity of the round printed spiral searchcoil is exceptional. You are able to use swing speeds to overlap wet sand that would be impossible with BBS and VLF machines, and then slow your swing and increase Pulse Width to find deep gold in heavy black sand areas other machines simply can’t detect. Because of the lightweight and ultra-thin design of the coil, it slices effortlessly through the water.

Detection depths for the 8”-searchcoil are impressive. I have detected a 14K gold bangle bracelet at an estimated 18”-19” deep (in hip-deep surf), gold and silver hoop earrings at 15”-18” deep in wet sand, and gold, titanium, silver, and tungsten rings at the same depths in both the surf and wet sand. I routinely find quarters at 16” in wet sand.

Pinpointing with the super-sensitive searchcoil takes a little practice. The Sand Shark begins seeing the target at the extreme edges of the searchcoil. This can throw you off a touch before you become used to hearing the “sweet spot” at dead-center coil. Once you have become comfortable with the searchcoil, pinpointing is easy and very accurate.

I use NiZn rechargeable AA batteries in the Sand Shark, and can average 17- hours of use between charges. Duracell and Energizer AA batteries lasted an average of 19-hours before I felt I was losing depth. I think utilizing AA-batteries is another advantage of the Sand Shark design, which delivers a lot of economical power for a long time. The easy to install and remove battery pack also encourages the user to remove and store their batteries properly between uses.

Cleaning the Sand Shark is as easy as washing it off in the driveway with your garden hose and letting it air dry. It breaks down and sets up quickly and easily. I recommend that you take it apart and rinse it off in fresh water after every use at the beach. The Sand Shark is guaranteed for life, and will outlast you with simple and easy maintenance.

SPECIFICATIONS
Operating Frequency
600 pps
Searchcoil Type
Printed Spiral
Searchcoil Size
8" or 10½" diameter
Audio Frequency
Approx. 220 - 450 Hz
Audio Output
Stereo Piezo Headphones
Weight
4½ lbs.
Battery Requirement
Eight AA DC (alkaline)
Battery Life (at preset)
10 to 20 hours
Optimum Temp. Range
30° to 100° F
Optimum Humidity
0 to 75% R.H.
Operating Modes
VCO Motion ALl Metal
Adjustable Audio Frequency All Metal
Maximum Depth Rating
200 ft
Terry, you are the one nobody takes seriously. You ask me to "show the booty" "put up or shut up", etc. Then when Craig responds, you say showing finds isn't important.... what a joke...

You lie about the machines you have used, lie about the gold you have found, lie about the Sand Shark being a top tier machine... do you ever tell the truth?

Many of us have great respect for Craig, he has a lot of experience, you can trust what he says, and gives good advice to newbies.

Then there is Terry.... "Hunting tot lots? Sand Shark is perfect!" "Hunting for gold nuggets? Sand Shark all the way!"

Alright I'm done for real this time, tired of stooping to Terrys level...

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am not going to waste too many words on you Tom... as I have no respect for you after you talked down to me like you were better then me in a private message... I own my landscaping business and I enjoy it. enough said there. Can I ask you something now? But don't expect me to reply though. Why are you in the hobby? You never post anything and all the advice you give is what you have heard from others... you are a wannabe.. end of story... have a great life.

OUCH!!!! I guess being a wannabe is better than being a never was. Sorry I hurt your feelings, sometimes the truth hurts, but you were getting in your licks as well. Interesting that you see only one side.

I only pointed out the simple truth in the differences in our professions. If you have an issue with that, it's beyond my scope to fix it. Personally, I totally respect my lawn guy. it took me years to find him.

That you enjoy what you do for a living, well good for you!!!! Life is way too short for it to be any other way.

BTW, I post my finds to Facebook, where people use their real names, not screen names. It's as real as it gets. Not that there is anything wrong with the format used here, if that's what you are more comfortable with. You are invited to join us.

You didn't answer the question as to why your opinion has varied from one forum to the next.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any more attacks, mocking of or insults directed towards other members and this thread will be locked.......Members who continually attack, mock, or insult other members will earn a vacation....

Watch the language, changing the spelling of a word by adding *,-,_ and so on to get it by the rules does NOT change the violation of the rules……

Straight from TreasureNet Rules Page....

“Sniping, name calling, denigration and other generally negative or abusive actions are grounds for moderation. In extreme cases grounds for banning!”

"Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone."

“Keep the discussion civil, respectful and on topic. (This is a family friendly website!)”

“You may not.... Impersonate, imitate, pretend to be, or mock another member.”

“We make no guarantees as to the lifespan of a post or thread, or attachment. We reserve the right to delete any post at any time for any reason.”

“Don't use profane or obscene language.”

OP
OP
dirtdigger1581

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well after a lot of time researching and listening to the arguing on here...I finally bought a PI machine. Found a great deal on a barely used Garrett Infinium LS and couldn't pass it up. $625 for a hardly used machine and I was sold. Extremely excited to try it out on the beach. Thanks again to everyone for their input. Sorry the question led to such an argument.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Luck and Big Gold!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread