Sangamon

Greenie
Dec 30, 2017
Central IL
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Tesoro Bandido µmax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’m wanting to buy $10 face value 90% silver coins and have been looking on ebay and other online silver sellers. The best deals I can find are about 13x face value for this amount. I’ve also been watching my local craigslist but the people on there seem to want even more than that.

Is 13x face value the best deal I’m going to get for $10 worth? Thanks.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EBay has always been a good place to hunt silver. I got lucky last week and got some 6X face value. Doesn’t happen a lot, but sometimes people have no idea

OP
OP
S

Sangamon

Greenie
Dec 30, 2017
Central IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll keep checking ebay for the deals, but in the mean time I went ahead and bought a $10 mixed lot for 13x FV after shipping. Are local coin shops usually higher than places like APMEX and ebay? I went to a local shop a couple of weeks ago and all he had in his 90% bin were a couple of 50 cent pieces. He wanted something over 14x FV as I remember, but said his 90% sells out about as quickly as he gets it in.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll keep checking ebay for the deals, but in the mean time I went ahead and bought a $10 mixed lot for 13x FV after shipping. Are local coin shops usually higher than places like APMEX and ebay? I went to a local shop a couple of weeks ago and all he had in his 90% bin were a couple of 50 cent pieces. He wanted something over 14x FV as I remember, but said his 90% sells out about as quickly as he gets it in.

Local Coin Shop owners have to pay rent or a lease, electric, phone(s), possibly gas for heat, State and Federal Taxes and likely for a lot of other things to stay in business while more than likely only making sells of a few thousand dollars a week or possibly even a month. APMEX does business in the multi millions of dollars a week while some eBay Sellers who sell Silver by the lot, likely purchase the Silver at 30% to 40% below spot.

You might try Yard Sales and Estate Sales and/or Auctions. While most Pawn Shops have grown up and sell Silver at comparable prices to Coin Shops, some can still be found where you can get a deal on Silver and other coins. Also, try Antique and similar type shops.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can buy a bunch at spot but I keep turning them down because I don’t know where to sell them to make a profit. Not a huge mark up on them. Their Washington quarters and Roosevelt dimes.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I can buy a bunch at spot but I keep turning them down because I don’t know where to sell them to make a profit. Not a huge mark up on them. Their Washington quarters and Roosevelt dimes.

You are correct! Most of the time, there is very little mark up on some Silver coins. While there may not be a big mark up on them, I use them as Eye Candy at Flea Markets to attract customers that are interested in Silver coins and bullion. Some purchase a few but others purchase 10 to 50 Silver Coins and usually purchase 5 to 10 Silver Eagles and sometimes entire rolls of Silver Eagles. I had one customer recently that saw the Eye Candy (Silver Dimes, Quarters and Half Dollars) on one of my' tables who ended up purchasing 34 Silver Eagles and a Buffalo Silver Round. He stated that if he had not spent all of the money he brought to the Flea Market, he would have purchased all of my' Silver coins and bullion. I sure hope to see him again soon!

OP
OP
S

Sangamon

Greenie
Dec 30, 2017
Central IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The market must be hotter where I'm at. Somebody advertised silver quarters and dimes at spot on CL two nights ago and by the time I emailed the next morning they were taken. About the only other silver on CL are some Silver Eagles for $22 each, but that ad is gone now so either somebody bought them or the guy gave up. And as I said above the guy at the coin shop told me he sells out his 90% pretty quick at 14x face value. Kind of tough to get a good buyer's deal around here I guess, but good for the sellers. Maybe I need to take a road trip to FL, load up a trunkfull of spot silver and bring it back to sell.:laughing7:

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the website, findbullionprices, you can check out prices from different reputable dealers. There is also a tab "bullion deals" that shows spot deals for 1st time customers but only one of those deals are for 90% coins.
Also, some of the dealers will give codes for deals on the Silverbugs subreddit if you watch that. PMSforsale subreddit is also a great place to buy/sell precious metals.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve used online vendor Provident Metals, out of Texas, very well established. Right now, 90% silver is 11.9 x face and shipping is always free for purchases over $99. They also have great buy back prices.

Loved their deal a few weeks back on 1964 Kennedy halves at 12.5 x face.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sangamon

Greenie
Dec 30, 2017
Central IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A belated thanks to Divine Profit, and thanks to fistfulladirt. I'll definitely be checking those site out!

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sangamon, If you are only interested in buying from web PM shops, I agree with Fistfull... Provident is excellent to buy from and sell to. Many of the websites, including TN will have a sort of "classifieds" section. Other than finding a seller that is ignorant of the value....these classifieds are usually the best. There's a different site called bullion stackers that typically has a large selection of junk silver at great prices. They have what appear to be trusted sellers but they are individual sellers so DYODD. Right now, there are some dimes selling for less than spot.

OO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread