Best Places to Hunt Coins These Days

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok , They say the old timers got to all the good places, so now in these modern times whats left?

I have been to several old sites that had schools or churches and they have been hunted out.

I am just getting back into this sport back in the late 1980's I use to coin hunt and just going up to old houses and asking permission was a good way.

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be forth coming and use any connections you have. I often spend my lunch hour knocking on doors and getting permission. Just tell them who you are and what you want to do, sometimes they say no but dont let that bother you.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the parks...Unless you are looking for older coins....you are correct the easy stuff is hunted out...So now think outside the box......Research your town......there has got to be many unhunted sites still waiting for you!

jimb

Feb 22, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches are a good place to go if you want to find rings!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good places these days in my experience are the same as in those days. I have only been to one spot I would say was truly hunted out, here in Colorado. It's the site of a known treasure legend, and not even a pull tab, 22 bullet, aluminum foil, square nail, nothin hit. Kinda scary, but it has been searched and potholed heavily. Then again, there is a section that's pretty rough and maybe nobody gave it much thought, cause very hard to swing a detector there. Always hope, anyway.

OP
OP
H

huntindog1

Apr 20, 2012
South Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Current: CTX3030
Past: ETRAC Omega 8000, Whites DFX, Fisher F2, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Sabre Plus, Garrett GTA 1000 PM, Fisher CZ6, Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys I found a old home built in the early 1900's asked permission and got to hunt it. Found a 1901 and 1896 indiana head.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
All of the old spots like county parks are not hunted out. Found myself over 100 silvers, large cents, 2-centers, etc, all from hard-hit parks in the last 2 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions