Best scoop for gravel beaches

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Your probably better off wearing a mask and using a trowl to move the gravel, if you have clear visability. Otherwise, I use a Sunspot in gravel, it still isn't easy though. Need something narrow with a good point on it. Good luck.

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
if the pebble is not very large, use the scoop with larger holes, and an additional device to which you bodyboard after washing pours pebbles ....
if it is not clear, I'll link to the video

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a wonder bar, curved on one end, flat and edged on the other. Great for digging in rock and gravel. You can see it in my left hand. Pick one up at any hardware store. From 5 to 10 dollars.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 567

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel is difficult to sift through any scoop. But for pure digging power I rely on the Sunspot.

OP
OP
H

halfstep

May 11, 2010
Sandman said:
Gravel is difficult to sift through any scoop. But for pure digging power I rely on the Sunspot.

I was hoping that the sunspot would work. There is another scoop I seen on ebay that looks a lot like the sunspot. It is designed to use a post hole digger handle. I like it because a person can use a long handle or make a short handle and change between the two quickly.
http://cgi.ebay.com/STAINLESS-STEEL...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e59645bd9
I have also looked at the nuttall scoops. They look agressive but wish the handle was built different.

Anyone else have any ideas?

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
detectahead. in your photo do not see a pebble, I see big stones. scoop is not needed.
you need a pickaxe, a tool sold in the building and garden stores.

halfstep. grain size of pebbles? photo soil with coin for scale.
to coarse sand and gravel up to 20mm (0.8 ") I'm working scoop "evroexcavator "v.5 & bodyboard

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sunspot has also worked OK for myself in these types of spots w/large stones /rocks.. Sites with this type of rock are just plain hard to dig in & recover finds.. especially when the stones are hard packed..Ive got one site I found my first barber dime (in the water) at and other old jewelry that is all rock/stone like this.. Just plain hard work but worth it! If the water is clear where you are at is a plus to hand digging ..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions