Best Scoop for River Hunting with Gravel?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need something big, stainless, with a pointed tip. Truly, you would probably be better off with a hand-held pick/mattox combo if you have gravel. Scoops are really made more for sand.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stealth beach scoop I've used others and the Stealth is the one I use all the time. I prefer the 90 degree handle as I don't swing it to the surface but raise it in hops with my left hand so it is clear of sand at the top. Here is one of the styles he make for me. Notice the earring stud in front of the magnets. SS STealth.JPG

OP
OP
ATGoldGuy

ATGoldGuy

Mar 12, 2013
Heath, OH
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think it would hold up in smaller river gravel?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got just the ticket for you. Since you're dealing with fresh water a good metal shop can fabricate you a really tough scoop out of galvanized steel. We made our own just for the type of conditions you're asking about. Here's a couple of pics. The looped handle provides a ton of leverage and the serrated lip on the scoop is awesome when working in mud, gravel, and when working around stoney bottoms. I think the one pictured had a 6" bucket, 3/8" galvanized pipe handle, weighed in at about 5lbs and was tough as nails. Just have the shop weld it up and save some bucks and drill the holes yourself.
scoop1.jpg sss.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ATGoldGuy

ATGoldGuy

Mar 12, 2013
Heath, OH
Detector(s) used
AT Gold & AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting