EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fresh water, whichever mode you can get to run stable, just like land hunting. Park 1 if coin shooting, Park 2 or Field 2 if going for jewelry or relics. Don't use beach modes in fresh water as the salt balance algorithim will limit power in black sand or mineralization.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fresh water, whichever mode you can get to run stable, just like land hunting. Park 1 if coin shooting, Park 2 or Field 2 if going for jewelry or relics. Don't use beach modes in fresh water as the salt balance algorithim will limit power in black sand or mineralization.

I agree that trying various modes until you find one that works the best. I would also try the beach modes. Sometimes in brackish water, or where there is a mix of fresh and salt water (such as the mouth of a river) the beach modes will be the only ones stable there.

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to Fontainebleau State Park I was told I couldn't hunt in the water. Is there a law I can print out? thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tasmorn, you'll have to do some research for that law. Here, it may not be specifically illegal to detect on some public land, but how they can go after you is illegal parking, hurting a plant (for real), disturbing nature, all that rot.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I beach hunt in fresh water. I use beach mode 2 and it’s very stable.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, not surprising, that is because beach 2 is designed to run stable ANYWHERE, since it has to run stable with salt and black sand conditions where it is primarily meant to be used. Problem is, to get it to run stable, ML lowered transmit power versus what is used for the other modes and it will lower power further, automatically, if you encounter black sand. This translates to a potentially significant loss of depth penalty for that stability. It still will give decent depth (I have recovered nickels at 1 foot + with it in wet salt sand), but I know that if I can get practically any other non-beach mode running stable (which should be easy in fresh water) it will go even deeper.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been playing with the Nox in S. Carolina beach this week. Dry sand using Park1 and running 24 sensitivity getting quarters as deep as 14-16”. Swinging the wet sand (drop sens to 21)Park1 is a bit jumpy, so go to Beach1, quarter depth drops to 6”, if I live with the jumpy beeps Park1 in wet goes to 8” quarter. If I select Beach2 it is super smooth but depth is 4”.

I also made another attempt at knee / waist deep surf, but just really hard to swing, feels like I’m going to snap my cuff again.

Sooo, spending most of my time on the dry figuring my efficiency per swing is 100% higher than in the wet.

Man, I have to give it up to those guys who can successfully water hunt in the surf, really a challenge for me.

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011

Then your equinox underperforms in depth for rings, and you can forget most fine gold as well.

Beach 1&2 are highly disappointing in fresh water. I by far prefer my excl to nox in beach 1&2 in fresh water.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It’s brackish water mixed salt and fresh.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that trying various modes until you find one that works the best. I would also try the beach modes. Sometimes in brackish water, or where there is a mix of fresh and salt water (such as the mouth of a river) the beach modes will be the only ones stable there.

It is brackish

saanich2018

Apr 25, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been playing with the Nox in S. Carolina beach this week. Dry sand using Park1 and running 24 sensitivity getting quarters as deep as 14-16”. Swinging the wet sand (drop sens to 21)Park1 is a bit jumpy, so go to Beach1, quarter depth drops to 6”, if I live with the jumpy beeps Park1 in wet goes to 8” quarter. If I select Beach2 it is super smooth but depth is 4”.

I also made another attempt at knee / waist deep surf, but just really hard to swing, feels like I’m going to snap my cuff again.

Sooo, spending most of my time on the dry figuring my efficiency per swing is 100% higher than in the wet.

Man, I have to give it up to those guys who can successfully water hunt in the surf, really a challenge for me.

When I am at the beach, I use Beach 1 for the sand and I have no issues with finding all sorts of coins and items as deep as 12"

Tasmorn

Jun 9, 2013
Laplace, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Nox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The park joins a lake which has a beach. I wanted to detect in the water by the beach.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So did you read my post above. It tells you what you have to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread