Best Spots = Worst Neighborhoods

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I know how ya feel.I always carry a weapon just in case (shovel,knife,and for the worst places a small gun)

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
I know how ya feel also. My friend Dan and I used to go into those areas about 6:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning and hunt for 2 or 3 hours, and then get the H out of there. We did find some really good stuff in those days. Now if I go into areas that are a little shaky, I carry a can of "Bear Stop" with me. It's supposed to stop a charging bear at 20 feet. Wouldn't be much good against a gun of course, but it makes me feel a little safer.
Bob

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Back years ago I hunted some very bad areas in Grand Rapids, Michigan. I never had any trouble but I stayed near the parks. I wanted to hunt the curb side of the sidewalk but never got up the nerve.

I'd say you could do it even today in the moderate areas during the daytime with a few other THers but I'd never try it alone.

Don't try doing the middle of drug alley and watch out for the gang centers.

To hunt the big bad city you'd have to study the situation well before even trying it. Maybe talk to some cops in that area and others who can wise you up to how things work in that neighborhood.

In some areas you'd better have an African American on the THing team or it wouldn't be good.

I've said it many times on here and I'll say it again, these urban areas hold some of the most fantastic THing in the world but they're also some of the most dangerous places in the world.

By-the-way, during the time I hunted the bad section of Grand Rapids I just killed the Barber dimes and Indian cents.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is organize a group hunt at these places and inform local law enforcement that you will be in these areas and to maybe have someone driving through the park at random andmaybe get the cell phones #'s for on duty cops in that area so that you have quick access to cops if need be. Put them on speed dial so if you get scared you can just slide your hand into your pocket and dial the cop without even having to take your phone out.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Nasty area can be good.

The question is, is it really worth it.

I stay out now, do not bother with bad areas.
Getting beat-up, cut, shot, not for me.

Just not worth the problems.
Mace or some type of weapon, it could only
end up with problems or ..............

have a good un.........

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
It pays to be streetwise. Also make sure you do like you would with any of your insured items and write down the SN# of your detector and keep it with your other papers.

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tell them you work for the state and your looking for toxic waste. or broken gas lines so they have to stay back 500 feet then run like hell
;D

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I hunted a park in Philadelphia about 15 years ago and I was the only one in the park that wasn't of color. I was a little concerned at first because it wasn't the best area but I after a while of detecting I realized that nobody cared that I was there and I didn't get bothered by anyone during my many trips to this park. It also is the only place I ever found a standing liberty quarter since I have been detecting. I did get a lot of stares but I get that everywhere I detect, no problem with that.

P

PlanetExpress

Yeah, I'd have to say, having lived near and in some pretty ghetto areas, that most people don't view a MD as a thing of value. Let's face it... it still has that geeky rep. They think you got it at Radio Shack. People might laugh at you, but if you're in an area where you have really weird people coming up to you talking and not making a lot of sense, then you probably should find a better area to detect - regardless of the possible booty below the ground.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the city i live in has about 300 years of history behind it, but all of those really really old places are terrible ghettos now. as much as i want to hunt them i just wont risk it, even with a partner. there are other parts of the city that arent so great but at least they are not a friggin warzone. i hunt those spots but only with my brother with me so we can watch each others backs. maybe i am a bit parinoid, but i would rather be paranoid than wind up shot in the back over an $800 detector. i guess it depends on the area and how you feel about it. find someone to go with you though just in case.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I feel ya,I hunt in a lot of not so nice places,always a lot of trash,I guess Im more of the hit and run type. I hunt a lot of different places but dont stay at very many of them for a long period of time. If Im in a pretty rough area I wont stay longer than an hour or so. You can go into about any area early in the morning hit two or three spots. Id always be out by say 11 noon at the latest. After that people start waking up and realize they need someone to rob so they can get their hook up for the day. Keep your eyes open and stick and move,you can always come back later,dont get me wrong I like to hunt the nice neighborhoods too but lets face it all the good stuff is in the bad neighborhoods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions