Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weather to or whether not to

The best time of year to prospect is when you make the time to do it. There has to be a desire there!

So I take it aus means Australia? Here in the U.S. the right time should not be too hot or too cold, NO snow on the ground, the river/stream/creek/crik not too high or fast. Heavy rains or "rainy season period" are less comfortable to be out in, to down right ugly to be out in. Though some rain is ok. Mud, go home IF you can get through it to go home otherwise, just sit it out unless it is just going to continue/get worse and then you gotta get out regardless.

Knowing the weather and keeping updated on what the weather is going to do or not do is part of knowing the right time to go prospecting. This varies from location to continent but it remains a truism. Then being prepared for the expected weather is crucial. If you are out when it is close to a change of seasons then you must somehow be prepared for both seasons so, dealing with only one season at a time is a good thing IF it works for you. There may be a better time of year to go as some animals may not be out yet? There may be a better time of year to go out as the weather is milder, kinder and easier to deal with?

So as you can see the answer I am giving is not a direct answer as I feel it depends on several related elements some of which might not apply to Aus.

Welcome to Tnet, plan ahead about what you are going to do, learn from those who already understand prospecting in your area, any clubs there? Best of Success....................63bkpkr

From what I've seen of prospecting in Aus. the ground is hard as rock so it might actually be easier when it is wet but not real wet?

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some have said detecting over slightly damp soil(not wet or soaked) can increase depth and sensitivity when searching for small gold, this subject might make for a good thread.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the rains--before the heat sets in and turns the ground into hard rock making it miserable to dig. Around damp creek sides all the time,but rattlers luv it there also so err on the side a caution-John :icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys. Just starting out and I live in aus. Wondering if time of year has an impact on my findings. Is it hard to pi k stuff up in moist ground?

I think it is a lot easier in most ground. - Good Luck!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
The best time of the year for me is whenever I can get out sammy!
killingme.gif

OP
OP
S

sammytheseal

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2013
Thanks peeps. I'm super keen. Had a detector for a week now Nd every nite iv been throwing stuff around the yard trying to have it spot on. I can't wait to get out there

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's funny. 3 weeks ago we had rain and the cold still hurt your fingers, Now here in North California in past old 49'er area it has heated up. Yesterday it was 107 today it's 111 temp! I'm sweatin in my boots just going outside and the sun heats up till 8PM-Dusk. Looks like early hunting till it gets hot then I'll throw myself in the creek, lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread