Best Vacation EVER!!!!!

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just got back from a two week vacation in Maine. Some of my nicest finds came this year.

Note: There is a short and sweet explaination at the end if your lazy and don't want to read my huge "essay" :laughing9:

The first day I got there, I tried out the beach for an hour and got a silver ring(first pic) and some clad. The next morning, got up, tide was low, after five minutes got a nice loud signal. I dig 3" or so and get first gold of year - A nice mans wedding band 14k (second pic). I'm thinking, sweet, nobodys been here yet detecting this summer. The beach got crowded so I left. Next morning I do the same thing. Get up early 5:30 and get at it. I walked down the beach about a half a mile and get another nice loud signal. Dig 5-6" and get second gold ring of year and a second mans gold wedding band of the year 14k (third pic). At this point I was overly excited. I called it a day after finding a little bit more clad. Day four-same routine-clad in the morning, no rings. Came back a little later at high tide and tried dry sand. Got a .925 Tiffany & Co Necklace and a 1925 Buffalo Nickel. Later, got the fourth ring .925 reads "amore." Some more clad, got dark then left. Total clad from beach: $22.07. The next day, my parents decided we would take a day away from the beach and head north. We usually head to Antique/Junk stores. We got off the highway and immediately I noticed there was an old house that they were doing work around. I'm not one of those people who likes to go to others doors, but this was a rare opportunity for me. I asked the workers if I could detect, they said go ahead, rip up the lawn-whatever. I almost passed out :tongue3:. I go to the side of the house where they dug and tried the pile of dirt that was out of the hole. In literally 12 seconds I get a coin signal. I scoop it up and i see a coin- dime?- nope, 1787 1/2 REAL :headbang:. Check around some more in the dirt, nothing. I go on the lawn and find $1.01 clad + an 1878 Indian Head Penny. It was all preserved in some wierd "coating." Came out beautiful though. We left for the day after not finding much more plus it was really hot. We got home and I asked my parents if we could go back because I wanted to try one other spot. That night was the night of great thunder and lightning storms - I love watching them. TONS of rain. The next day, we got up to the house and I got out tried around in the front yard and got two keys. I walked over towards a pile I hadn't checked yet and saw a coin sitting right on top. Immediately I picked it up and put it in my pocket. I didn't get anything else for about an hour after that so I decided that I was done. I got in the car and looked at the coin I got-Large Cent, my second ever, the back had no wear. Get a little dirt off-1818! It was sitting right on top because the rain washed about 2" of dirt away.

Short and sweet: Found 2 gold rings, 2 silver rings, Buffalo Nickel, Tiffany & Co Necklace, $22.07 clad on beach. 1787 Half Real, 1818 LC, 1878 IH at old house + $1.01 clad.

Now for the good part. We got home to MA and I did some research on the house. Turns out it was the house of the first governor of Maine, William King. The house was built in 1802. The half real and/or the large cent could have been his! Finding out who it could have belonged to really makes it more special to find.

One other thing, since its vacation-related. The last day before we left, I stopped at a pawn shop and got an 1809 Bust Half Dollar. Then I stopped at a flea market and got a Connecticut Copper 1785 Bust Facing Left. Got that for $2 ;D There is no doubt in my mind that this was the
BEST VACATION EVER!!!​
Enjoy the pics...

Attachments

• V13.jpg
    V13.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,489
  • V14.jpg
    V14.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,476
  • V15.jpg
    V15.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,489
  • V22.jpg
    V22.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,491
  • V29.jpg
    V29.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,484
  • V28.jpg
    V28.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,484
  • V16.jpg
    V16.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,490
  • V23.jpg
    V23.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,482
  • V3.jpg
    V3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,474
  • V4.jpg
    V4.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,483
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
More pics...

Attachments

• V9.jpg
    V9.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,465
  • V7.jpg
    V7.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,468
  • V6.jpg
    V6.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,454
  • V5.jpg
    V5.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,448
  • V24.jpg
    V24.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,452
  • V25.jpg
    V25.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,449
  • V30.jpg
    V30.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 1,442
  • V31.jpg
    V31.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,444

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...I'm heading out of work but I will read this when I get home...Congrats.

NJ

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
holey cow, NICE vacation... so when ya going again.. lol congrats on some killer finds. :thumbsup:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Maine. What town did you visit? Nice finds too by the way. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
mainer said:
Welcome to Maine. What town did you visit? Nice finds too by the way. :icon_thumright:
Around Topsham and Brunswick. Thanks for the reply.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I would have known you were coming, we could have got together for a hunt, Brunswick is only about a half hour or so from me. If you ever get up this way again, let me know.

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a vacation you will never forget. I bet you are still grinnin from ear to ear.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Shadowmanflash

Jul 4, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150 & 250
Congrats on all the great finds in Maine, it couldn't get any better than that, in the ground and out. Sounds like a vacation you won't be forgetting an time soon. HH Ken

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a great time. Bet you can not wait for the next one....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread