Best Way to Clean

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Vulcan 360 Pinpointer, Geotech Barracuda Pi, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer 2, bounty hunter pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the condition of the coin.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on the metal in the given coin also... if there is a lot of copper in it you wanna stay away from anything acidic.
If its a valuable coin any kind of cleaning with a chemical will damage its value but then if it was a dug coin its probably considered in poor condition already anyway

Last edited:

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How about dirty clad you just want to get the crust off of to run through the coin machine at the bank?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock tumbler with ball bearings .. Or even sand and water.
Some folks even use snow-bowl in a bucket and just start swishing them around.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Vinegar and salt solution and run for 1/2 hr or so through tumbler or just put them in a can you can cover and shake every hour or so. Don't mix copper with clad or they will all turn green. Works great to get clean enough for coin machine

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
No Joke ,this is a Patent Item. I was getting ready for my 10 years Colonoscopy Exam and I had a Bottle of Magnesium Citrate ( Wally World--97 Cent ) I said if it works on Me why not try it on a (Greenie Beach ( Cent ) Coin )
Amazing Results in about 30 minutes, took the corosion off, Still need to try on other Coins ( Separately ) You Heard it 1st Hear - goldnugget-Charlotte,N.C. My S.C Club member's were astonished with the results.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Metal Monkey

Metal Monkey

Apr 19, 2014
Greencastle, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But will it cause any harm to the coins? I'm fairly new at this, but I was told that cleaning your finds is the most important part.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're just talking about modern clad then it doesn't much matter just get them clean enough for the machine to take them and honestly they don't have to be all that clean for that to happen probably 50 percent of mine hardly get cleaned at all... Just dump them in the machine slowly so you don't jam it up.
If you're talking about coins that might have collector value then don't clean them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread