Best Way To Find Rock Sized Meteorites

Nov 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
If you ever hear of someone springing a leak in their roof apparently out of nowhere, especially a newer roof. Possible chance they were hit by a rock sized meteorite, or ever go into an abandoned building and notice an odd leak, rain coming in. Take a look around the grounds.You should probably check the damage on the roof first, If it looks odd check pitch of roof and possible angle of deflection before your hunt. Don't forget the rain gutters. I estimate a possible 500 a 1000 pebble sized, or larger sized meteorites sitting in rain gutters right now. Probably not a bad idea to check the dirt around the downspout either. You probably could increase your odds by becoming a roofer, befriending roofers in your area or just downright bribing them for information on roof repairs.:)
Good Luck

Meteorite.jpeg

OPTIMIST_12X12_BLUE_WEB_BACKGROUND_large.jpg

https://www.sott.net/article/363791-South-Carolina-home-hit-by-meteorite

The striking of small meteorites off rooftops happens more times than they might think.

http://meteorites.wustl.edu/what_to_do.htm

:BangHead:
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excuse me, may I look in your rain gutters?

NO! GET OUT OF HERE YOU CREEP!

OP
OP
I
Nov 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Obviously the larger sized meteorites 1" or more that you would cause damage to a roof would bounce 40-50 feet off the roof on impact, and most likely would be laying on the ground. Not in the gutters. Some Roofs act almost like a WWF Wrestling Platform. With proper info, you could probably take your odds of finding a 1" or larger in diameter meteorite down from 100 million to 1 to somewhere in the thousands. Never said it would be easy.

https://www.amsmeteors.org/meteor-showers/meteor-shower-calendar/

Last edited:

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I bought my current property it came with a barn that needed a new roof. Its oddly constructed it had no sheathing but used the sheets of steel for strength. The way its made it has many gaps the width of a 2x4 under the roofing. The strange thing was when I bought it there were 3 places where the roofing was damaged. The metal was blasted inward. like it had been shot with something about the size of a baseball. The metal was actually folded inward at the edges of the holes. I had always chalked the damage up to lightning. There were no burn marks though. the damage was in one of those spaces you could not really do that from the inside. It would have been easier to figure out if the damage was in an open area where whatever caused it could have gone through and ended up in the barn. I still think I would believe giant hail over a meteorite though. I have never figured out exactly what caused the damage.

OP
OP
I
Nov 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
May of just been a careless roofer who dropped his drill a few times or lodged his foot in by accident, or he just re-used old materials and wasn't too worried about it. If you have the time it might be worth a closer look around? 10 Thousand to 1 is a lot better than 100 Million to 1. If you happen to find something it makes for a good story to go along with the property anyways. :occasion14:

Tell your kids if they find any unusual rocks within a 50 yard radius of the barn. Bring them home. Let them do the work.Offer them a cookie, It might give them something to do.:laughing7: probably cut your odds to 10 to 1. :laughing7:

Nova Scotia- the meteorite would probably look something like this probably not that size but it might give you something to go by.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...scientists-find-more-meteorite-hits-1.3165408

good luck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions