Best way to obtain permission

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to ask some of the people with more experience how they felt was the best way to go about obtaining permission on private property. While I have had a fair amount of luck getting permission to detect publicly owned land that is closed to public access, I haven't had nearly as much luck getting on to private land.

One part of me says "be unobtrusive, and call someone first - obviously meet them in person afterwards, but out of respect, use a phone call to get a feel and THEN go knock on their door" but the other part of me says "Knocking on the door is more personable, and shows a higher level of interest/commitment". Ideally, I'd love to catch someone out in a more natural conversation, but so many of the sites I'm looking in to just don't present that option (or at least haven't yet). What has your experience been??

Upvote 0

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Calling is a last resort . Knock on the door . I have been told no two times and an only when I am here deal at a property the guy does not even live at anymore . I have been told yes more than no . No sucks but it is the other persons property so it is what it is . Do not stop trying is all I can say .

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot to mention , I like to catch the owner mowing so they are already outside .

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knocking is the way to go, as you said it's more personable and the person can get more of a feel of who you are and the vibe given off. It's probably a lot easier for a person to say no over the phone than it may be face to face too. I keep it short when I ask and say something like, "Hi my name is D, I metal detect for a hobby and I was wondering if you'd allow me to search your yard?" I may throw in how I love these old houses, or how you have a nice home here. And then based off their answer I may go into more detail about the hobby, or how the detector works, or techniques used. Obviously not everyone will let us search their yards but there are quite a few that will let us, and I'm always thankful when they allow me to do so.
Good luck to everyone going door knocking!

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend of mine made a business card saying, "Have Detector Will Travel" and presented it to the homeowner. It also had "lost items will find." It shows your sincerity. Just a thought for you. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread